Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Skin cancer question, im having a meltdown

(42 Posts)
loopylou6 Sat 05-Sep-09 15:50:28

I have noticed a black blood blister type thing on my thigh, only small but it is raised and smooth, i stupidly googled and have now become convinced i have a rare form of skin cancer that will pop me off within a couple of months hmm

Please can anyone share their experiances with me, or tell me if you have the same thing and its harmless? sad

lljkk Sat 05-Sep-09 17:59:48

Sorry to hear about this, have you made an appt. with a GP? If he wants to refer you and you have to wait for appt., I would see if I could leapfrog into the system by paying privately. It will be worth it. Sorry I have no helpful personal experience.

noddyholder Sat 05-Sep-09 18:04:09

That doesn't sound like skin cancer they are usually red and scaly or black irregular moles.Could it be a blood blister?I have had several skin cancers removed and if caught early the cure rate is brilliant.Go to the GP monday and stop googling you'll drive yourself mad!

loopylou6 Sat 05-Sep-09 18:19:38

Thanks for the reply's.

Noddy, where yours malignant melanomas?
It does look very much like a blood blister yes, but it is black?

GetOrfMoiLand Sat 05-Sep-09 18:36:21

Loopy - whatever it is, get yourself to the doctor on Monday and stop googling and making yourself frantic.

I had a malignant melanoma last year - the GP referred me and I was seen by a dermatologist within 2 weeks, the treatement for it was really quick and effective. I was absolutely worried sick, and as I have had one I now must be very vigilant in the future.

FWIW mine was a facial mole, it was not black, however it had been itchy and had a slight red raised rim around the mole. I had a horrible looking scar for about 9 months, however it has now started to look less angry and red, thankfully.

Please don't worry - if yours does turn out to be malignant the treatment, in my experience, is really quick and effective.

loopylou6 Sat 05-Sep-09 18:40:40

Thank you GOML. Am really glad you're ok now. smile

orangeplum Sat 05-Sep-09 20:04:21

Hi
I would second what GOML said. I also had this and my mark was very much a mole - it was on my back and had grown over time. I was referred to the hospital by my GP and because when i went there the consultant didnt like the look of it he sent me straight to the day surgery unit and it was taken out there and then. mine was also malignant but they took out lots of extra tissue and then tested it to make sure that the surrounding tissue was not affected. don't worry - the GP give you some good advice and if you need treatment you will get it fast.

Good luck and hope you are okay.

ConnorTraceptive Sun 06-Sep-09 14:43:31

Loopy this sounds just like what my DH has on his thigh. He had it checked out and was told it was a black (maybe blue) vein mole or something to that effect and they were not concerned about it.

Definately get it checked though to put your mind at rest and NEVER google anything!!

MrsDinky Sun 06-Sep-09 20:09:38

I've got one of these too, on my outer thigh, had it for several years, Dr assured me it is not skin cancer, but some sort of blood blister thing, and you tend to get them as you get into your late 30's/early 40s. She also said always get a Dr to check over anything you're not sure about though, they are always happy to check.

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 07-Sep-09 08:36:01

Hi Loopy - hope you're OK today and not too worried smile

triffictits Mon 07-Sep-09 20:08:38

I had this not long ago - I had a mole removed and they then took even more out to make sure they had it all. It turned out it was a malignant meloma.
My gp has told me no more sun (ever) and to keep covered up at all times.

What do you mean that it is all ok and a great success rate? I have been told mine hadn't spread anywhere and they removed it, but I need checks every 6 months. I went to gp over a different mole which was actually fine, they checked them all and then found the one on my arm.

I am sure you will be fine though Loopy, it doesnt sound like anything awful - the one I orginally went to ask about was like a small black blood blister but they told me it was nothing to worry about at all.

HelenaBonhamCarter Mon 07-Sep-09 21:15:27

The survival rate if it's a very early melanoma is around 98%.

If it's already spread, that drops dramatically. Triffic, hope you stay free of any further occurrences x

loopylou6 Tue 08-Sep-09 16:55:48

Hi girls, thank you so much for all your replys, they are much appreciated, and for you ladys that have been unfortunate enough to suffer the desease, am glad that you're all doing fine now smile

I have not been the docs as yet, but am taking the wait and see approach for a couple of weeks.

triffictits Wed 09-Sep-09 13:11:04

loopy go to the doctors as soon as possible, dont take the wait and see approach. Dont want to scare you, but just on the off chance it is anything horrible, the quicker it is dealt with the better for you.

Thanks Helen.

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 09-Sep-09 13:26:28

Triffic (love your name grin - had the same, needed a second biospy, however as they had taken a lot out the first time it wasn't too bad. I have to go for yearly check ups with dermatologist, plus always have to keep out the sun (am religious now with sunblock). Theworst thing about it was the scar taking ages to heal.

Flyonthewindscreen Wed 09-Sep-09 13:30:02

I would second triffictits, just go and get it checked out. I am taking my own advice and going to the GPs tomorrow to get a dodgy mole (it has changed shape slightly and is slightly more raised) looked at. And don't google first, I googled last year after DH got a huge mole on his back and I diagnosed him with a lethal spreading melanoma (found a picture online that looked exactly like DH's mole). Made myself ill with worry, was on MN distraught until DH got back from hospital appointment to say it had been a harmless cyst which had been frozen off there and then blush.

Flyonthewindscreen Thu 10-Sep-09 13:32:49

Got mine checked by GP and it is fine - no further investigation needed...

mumof2000 Mon 28-Sep-09 10:58:01

Hay ladies , im in a worry about a mole well freckle , on my face always had this one for years but looks a little darker tan not black. looked back at pics 3 years ago and has changed a bit , i do suffer with anx and googled and now scared ... i went to mole clinic in june regarding other moles which were fine , and am due a full body check in end oct ,as had one last oct , its not itchy or red and small should i panic or wait till next check in a few weeks ?i only noticed it really a went out and had some pics taken and thought oh that ooks a bit darker ...
do freckles change colour ? wear fac 50 all the time ...

i am a worrier and suffer with HA most of the time ..anyone els ?

thanks for listening ..

mumof2000 Mon 28-Sep-09 16:43:53

bump

mumof2000 Tue 29-Sep-09 08:27:03

bump

CuntWhacker Tue 29-Sep-09 08:36:16

Get it checked out when you go to the clinic mumof2000. If it has changed considerable recently, or got more itchy/causing problems then get it checked out now.

mumof2000 Tue 29-Sep-09 08:48:00

not itchy , red or anything but just bit darker than it was iv looked back through photos from 3 years ago and was lighter brown then , now bit darker , the mole clinic i went to has no lady there now and have tracked down lady i did see so will call her this morning , shes up in croydon now ... although she has said shes not around till end oct to see me ...iv looked on internet and cant find clinic near me ....iv an appt later with my doc but just in case but i really want to see the mole clinic lady as she knows all about me as only saw her in june , im just worried sick ... although its not black /red/itchy/jaged edged/2 or more colours , i only noticed it as i said as i had some pics done of me out and thought wow that looks darker ...i hardly ever get my oic done ....
taking kids to school wil then ring the mole lady maybe she can give me advice /reasurance over the phone ,

CuntWhacker Tue 29-Sep-09 08:57:43

good luck. hope she puts your mind at ease, or sees you more quickly if there is cause for concern

mumof2000 Tue 29-Sep-09 09:23:52

thanks , got poss appt today with another clinic for full body mole scan ...tearfull and scared ..but i guess best to get checked out ....wont stop worrying if i dont ...so many thins going through my head ....

mumof2000 Tue 29-Sep-09 09:56:52

what should i do ? see my doc later today and see what she says ? and wait to see my normal mole clinic lady in a few weeks time for my year check ? or go for this appt with new mole lady in clinic and have scan today ?

im so scared and tearfull cant think straight , i do hav health anx so everything gets exagurated ...and extream ...cant spell either

help please

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now