Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

*May be TMI* My Mirena coil fell out yesterday, what should I do?

(7 Posts)
louloulouise Sat 05-Sep-09 12:57:07

I've been bleeding for the past week which I figured was another heavy period - I've had one once before since my mirena was fitted 9 months ago. Yesterday I was having quite a few period pains and was uncomfortable to sit down - when I went to the loo later that day I felt a huge 'clot' come out and when I checked it was my mirena covered in a tough stringy blood clot (sorry tmi but don't know whether this is relevant).

I don't know what to do now - could I be pregnant (no symptoms), will my body reject the mirena a second time or worse still was the big clot-ty mess actually a very early pregnancy?

The first heavy period after the mirena was fitted was followed by what I thought was a kidney infection which I was prescribed anti-b's for, I'm now thinking it could have been the mirena moving?

Any advice would be fab. Thanks.

sandcastles Sat 05-Sep-09 14:06:48

I had mine fitted in Jan & removed in March due to horrendous pain. I almost dropped my 6 mth old while lifting her into her cot as I experienced a sudden v painful cramp. It took 30 minutes to subside & I just lay on dds bedroom floor, curled up in agony! It was found to be an infection & I had 3 diff ABs over 2 weeks to combat it.

It had also started to move down & was partially out of my uterus when I had it removed.

The dr who removed it & my normal dr advised me not to have another one.

I cannot advise on the clot, altough it doesn't sound good. I do regret having mine placed & have vowed never again to have one. There are marketed as the cure all,...but imo they are evil!

CaroJo Sat 05-Sep-09 20:45:06

I think you should see a doctor.

kreecherlivesupstairs Sat 05-Sep-09 21:48:29

Open your legs wide and get DP to see if he can reposition it.
Seriously, get to whoever fitted it in the first place and have a chat (and take a pregancny test just to be sure).

Cosette Sat 05-Sep-09 21:56:48

I've had 2 Mirenas fall out like this, in large clots, and went to the doctor, who recommended a scan to see whether fibroids or similar were causing a problem. The scan didn't find anything, so it seems the Mirena just doesn't suit some people, and assuming the blood tests (for anaemia/thyroid) come back ok, then I will try the pill now instead. You could try another one, but go see your doctor and see what they recommend now.. I don't think there's any reason to assume you're pregnant unless you have other symptoms, but you could always take a test to be sure.

louloulouise Sun 06-Sep-09 12:55:52

THanks for the advice, I'm going to book in to the FPC where I got it fitted and get checked out and sort another form of contraceptive! I did a pregnancy test just to be sure because I was going out and wanted a drink and it was a big fat negative which was a huge relief!

Oh well, I was looking forward to not giving my fertility a second thought for five years but I guess it wasn't to be.

I googled this a it seems this kind of thing isn't that rare but I'll get checked out to be on the safe side.

Thanks again for the replies.

Kathrina Mon 07-Sep-09 15:11:09

I had my Mirena coil fitted in July 2006 and it bloody fell out in May 2009!!! I checked the threads just after my period and they were actually poking out down below. I called NHS direct and they said to get to my local FPC but as most of my FPC in my area are under 25's (i was 28 at the time) i couldn't go to any and just had to wait for it to fall out on its own. I had a slight bleed but that was it.

I am currently on the mini-pill until tomorrow hopefully then i am getting the copper coil fitted. I feel a bit annoyed as i was never checked out for an infection or pregnancy and just left to get on with it.

Just hope you don't have to wait as long as i have to get another one fitted! Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now