Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

CHICKENPOX IN BABY ADVICE NEEDED PLS

(9 Posts)
huggybear Wed 01-Jun-05 18:09:26

Hi,

my ds2 is 14 months old, this morning he woke up with loads and loads of cjicken pox - even on his eyelids. my mil has had him today and said hes been throwing up, had temp and off food/drink etc

just given him calpol and put calamine lotion on, but he is screaming his little head off. i think he might have chickenpox in his mouth (if this is poss) cause he wont put anything in it not even his dummy.

what should i do? is this how chickenpox goes or should i take him to hospital or something else?

ds1 had chickenpox a couple of weeks ago and was fine, not even a temp.

any advice would be appreciated

thanks

huggy xx

Chocol8 Wed 01-Jun-05 18:13:45

Sorry, I don't know, but wanted to bump you. Though if it was me, I would certainly ask a doctor, poor mite.

bossykate Wed 01-Jun-05 18:14:20

dd is just getting over this. give infant ibuprofen as well as calpol. also try piriton to ease the itching. bicarbonate of soda in the bath may help as well.

huggybear Wed 01-Jun-05 18:21:20

am worried cause its such a different reation to ds1. have no other experience of chicken pox. is this a normal reaction in babies?

tiffini Wed 01-Jun-05 18:26:21

children react different to it, my DS was in terrible pain for 2 weeks, and other children i know get 6 spots.
And it is possible to have them in the mouth. How big are your DS spots, my ds were the size of 2pence pieces and once popped stayed open for days, he was put on antibiotics in case of infections.
Your DS is quite young, might be an idea to take him to the GP.

milge Wed 01-Jun-05 18:26:35

huggybear, i have twins, and ds got it very mildly at 14m and barely noticed he had spots, whereas 3 weeks later dd was very ill, with a 40+temp for 2 days, hundreds of spots everywhere, especially in her ears and in her nappy area. I used piriton at night for the itching( and as a mild sedative) and Medised in the days, so she wasn't zonked in the days too. I used nurofen to bring her temp down, and made up a paste with bicarb of soda( bought from the chemist in bulk), which i applied to her every couple of hours in the bath, which also helped cool her and reduce the itching. Every child is different, but if her temp is high for a long time, without dipping, then take medical advice. Good luck.

marne Wed 01-Jun-05 18:27:35

Poor you,
I thought it was worse when they were older, never herd of a very young child having them that bad. I hope he gets beter soon.

Distel Wed 01-Jun-05 18:29:31

Piriton worked miracles for us.

huggybear Wed 01-Jun-05 18:35:42

he's got the equivilent to piriton - the lloyds version and have put him upstairs so he'll hopefully have a nap. poor thing. thanks for you advice xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now