Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

MALARIA - has anyone here had malaria? Symptoms, treatment, please?

(10 Posts)
suedonim Wed 01-Jun-05 13:47:21

The title says it all, really! I've looked at internet sites but tbh, they're not that graphic on the actual symptoms. Dh has been pretty ill for several days now (he's never ill) and the dr suspects he may have malaria so I want to find out what it's like from people who've had it.

maretta Wed 01-Jun-05 13:58:18

Have you looked at this .

The nhs info is fairly basic but there's a page of links you can go to. Hope your dh is OK. Where has he been that he could have contracted it?

suedonim Wed 01-Jun-05 14:09:06

No, I hadn't seen that site but it has dh's symptoms to a T! But then those sort of symptoms are also like flu-like, too, so I don't know. We've been living in Indonesia and dh was working in India as well, plus he's had similar but not as severe 'turns' before, hence the dr flagging up malaria. He's had bloods taken so we'll just have to be patient, I suppose.

suedonim Wed 01-Jun-05 19:54:22

OldieMum Wed 01-Jun-05 20:18:08

I had it in Kenya 1988 and 89. I remember having aching limbs, hot and cold shivers and a high temperature. There are many different strains of malaria, however. If you think he has it, you should get him tested immediately. Has he been in a malarial region recently?

giraffeski Wed 01-Jun-05 20:22:10

Message withdrawn

suedonim Wed 01-Jun-05 21:20:02

Thanks ladies - I just knew there'd be a mumsnetter who had experience of malaria! MN is the fount of all knowledge.

Dh's symptoms are just as you describe, Oldiemum. Dh has been working in Indonesia and India so the possibility is there. Blood tests should be back tomorrow. I've never known dh to be this poorly before.

giraffeski Wed 01-Jun-05 21:22:34

Message withdrawn

suedonim Fri 03-Jun-05 21:19:34

Thought I'd better update this. Good news is, dh doesn't have malaria; bad news is, he has a campylobacter infection, similar to e-coli-type illnesses. Thankfully, he's over the worst, just needs 'building up' again as it's left him quite weak.

giraffeski Fri 03-Jun-05 21:24:10

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now