Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Hospital Appt wont let me choose to see a female consultant - is this right?

(7 Posts)
boneybones Thu 03-Sep-09 19:16:42

Ive received my hospital appt through to see a gynocologist first appt.

IVe rang the central appt line to change date also to request that I see a female consultant.

They are saying that the appt's are selected but it doesnt say which show which consultant it is also they can not select one.

Im sure this is wrong what do you think?

EldonAve Fri 04-Sep-09 07:31:00

I think they are probably telling you the truth

Do you have the phone number for the clinic? Best to phone them direct and they should be able to help you

TheDMshouldbeRivened Fri 04-Sep-09 07:54:57

I called the clinic direct ad requested a female consultant.

AxisofEvil Fri 04-Sep-09 08:25:56

If this is nhs I don't think you can insist. But you can request a chaperone. You could contact the pals service at the hospital as they may know.

mamas12 Fri 04-Sep-09 23:30:45

Er no, you can insist on a female doctor it is your right.
I do all the time
They will do it for you but you must insist as it is a mental health matter if you don't!!

Ring the clinic direct and just say you will be needing to see a female doctor so which app. would suit??

masonicpixiesreadthedailymail Fri 04-Sep-09 23:33:27

mamas12 is right

lots of women at our place request female gynae for cultural reasons. This is never questioned

Northernlurker Fri 04-Sep-09 23:33:47

The choose and book system - which the central line is using - doesn't show which doctor is which appointment but if you ring the hospital department direct they should be able to sort it out for you unless the particular nature of your problem is such as is only dealt with one consultant - who happens to be male. In that case you'll need to ask your GP to refer you elsewhere. Good luck getting sorted though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: