Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Today I got my first pair of reading glasses. Is this the start of the decline?|

(7 Posts)
Milliways Thu 03-Sep-09 17:39:33

Only a low (+1.5) Prescription, but I am amazed at how huge & bright the words in my books now seem!

Have to remember to take them off for walking around though

And I got 2 pairs as it was 2 for 1 in specsavers, and as I have not a clue what looked best I got 2 different styles to play with.

I can now do the "old lady peering over specs" look grin

LaurieFairyCake Thu 03-Sep-09 17:40:42

<worried>

age please?

actually I want this to happen to me as I am -1.25 so hopefully my eyes will correct and be perfect after 16 years of wearing contacts grin

cocolepew Thu 03-Sep-09 17:41:13

Next to go will be your ability to hold wee in, your mind and your hearing.

Milliways Thu 03-Sep-09 17:43:45

The trampoline has already prooved the wee bit! <<adds Tena Lady to shopping list>>

My mind, that left years ago grin

Oh, and I am 43!

pickyvic Thu 03-Sep-09 18:07:11

im in optics and yes im afraid this is the start!

now for the science bit:

when you reach your early/mid 40's the muscle in the back of the eye begins to harden - it happens to everyone and there is bog all you can do about it! its called presbyopia. it comes to us all.
its a progressive change so yes - it does get worse over time - sorry to be the bearer of bad news!
you could always try varifocals then you d not have to peer over the top of your specs!
hth!

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 03-Sep-09 20:47:37

I thought it was down to the lens in your eye loosing flexibility? (I have IOLs so I have no accommodation) Once it has lost all its flexibility then it doesn't get worse.

IdrisTheDragon Thu 03-Sep-09 20:49:57

My optician has let me know that I will need bifocals/varifocals in time.

My prescription is -10.25 so it would be lovely if it could get cancelled out a bit but sadly this won't happen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now