Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ridiculous side effects of a cough

(9 Posts)
LissyGlitter Wed 02-Sep-09 21:54:09

I have a bad cough (wheezy chest and I feel like I'm drowning in phlegm) and I'm 28 weeks pregnant. This is a pain in the bum, especily since the pregnancy means I am restricted as to what I can take. However, I am getting sick of the side effects-I ended up in A+E with stabbing stomach pains which turned out to be a strained muscle due to coughing too much and last night I somehow managed to cough a filling out of my tooth!

It is really getting silly. Does anyone have any tips for making myself feel better? Up to now I'm taking a lintus for chesty coughs and a low dose of paracetomol for the muscle strain and headache as well as propping myself on one side, raised at both the head and feet (to prevent cramp) and supported at the bump while I'm in bed.

nellie12 Wed 02-Sep-09 22:02:19

Are you wheezing? You need to go the gp if so. Also when you are coughing try supporting your bump with your hands - it gives some support. You can take the 1gm of paracetamol 4 x day safely. But if you are wheezing you need to see your gp. hth

LissyGlitter Wed 02-Sep-09 22:04:59

I'm kind of wheezing on and off. It's worse when I am lying down. I don't smoke or anything, so I presume it's just a cold.

brimfull Wed 02-Sep-09 22:06:39

god you poor thing
I have had awful chest infection and wheeziness like this before and it's bad enough without being pregnant aswell.

I ended up having to have prednisilone -is that safe in pregnancy?

brimfull Wed 02-Sep-09 22:08:00

I would get yourself seen -there will be something they can do for you.

Meglet Wed 02-Sep-09 22:10:45

I tore a muscle in my side in May after having a bad cough for 3 weeks and three different types of Anti-B's. It hurt like hell. Go and see your GP, the longer you leave it the worse you will feel.

kid Wed 02-Sep-09 22:10:59

In the meantime, you can try drinking some warm diluted juice. According to DS's doctor, thats better than any cough medicine.

Its worth seeing your dr incase they can give you anything to ease the symptoms or even just to monitor it. Hope you are feeling better soon

MyCatIsAFleaBagNoMore Wed 02-Sep-09 22:11:14

I had a rotten cough when I was pregnant and sucked on murray mints when I felt the cough coming on (didn't want to suck on cough sweets in case they hurt baby!). I took the mints to bed and could be found munching on them at various times of night.

LissyGlitter Fri 04-Sep-09 21:30:13

Well, at least now I am actually getting some phlegm up (urgh!) so that's something. Also the inside of my head is now itching like mad.

Meh. It's obviously just a bad cold, but it is really annoying and a lot worse with being pregnant as well.

I'm not too keen on making a GP appointment as by the time the appointment arrives I will probably be better.

I just hope the coughing and lack of sleep doesn't affect the baby. 28 weeks is till way too early to be born isn't it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now