Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

If your dc wear glasses do they remove them for p.e?

(15 Posts)
mummydarlingsausage Wed 02-Sep-09 21:08:56

My dd's (6) new teacher today told her she has to taker her glasses off for p.e. I just wondered if this is normal. She does wear them all the time usually since she was 5 months (even for swimming she has prescription goggles) Sorry if this is a daft question btw. I just wanted to ask before I speak to the teacher tomorrow. I haven't really met her properly yet and she has a reputation for being a battleaxe! Its strange as she has done reception and year 1 without this being an issue. thanks

Seona1973 Wed 02-Sep-09 22:17:07

my dd never takes them off for pe or her gymnastics class. Maybe the teacher is classing them as jewellery!?

threeandcounting Wed 02-Sep-09 22:19:10

Yes, my ds1 has been asked to take his glasses off since p1! Now in p3!

Hope this helps! smile

Sidge Wed 02-Sep-09 22:21:51

No. My DD2 wears glasses (she is 5.5) and if she took them off she wouldn't be able to see anyone or anything. I wouldn't let her teacher insist on her taking them off - it would be like doing PE with your eyes shut for her hmm

lucykate Wed 02-Sep-09 22:22:22

no, dd keeps hers on. it would be more dangerous for her to do pe without her glasses, her prescription is very strong and without, she has double vision.

we also have prescription goggles.

can your dd manage without?, depending on how bad her sight is, going on apparatus with blurred vision is a recipe for disaster.

Tortington Wed 02-Sep-09 22:24:05

how can a kid who has sight problems ergo glasses - be told to take them off ?

frogs Wed 02-Sep-09 22:24:22

No. dd1 is a danger to herself and others without her glasses on, and dd2 would leave them on the floor and tread on them or something.

I would be having a Quiet Word with any teacher who told either of them otherwise. If a child needs glasses to see properly, then it's a no-brainer.

Tortington Wed 02-Sep-09 22:24:33

not doubting you op - was just incredulous

frogs Wed 02-Sep-09 22:27:42

Custy, when dd2 was in Reception and first got her glasses (having been told by the eye hospital to wear them all the time except when asleep) she was nonetheless told by a lunchtime supervisor that she had to take them off for playtime. Yes, I now, wtf? Dd2 then gave her glasses to some random TA to look after, who promptly went home with them in her handbag.

My reaction when I found all this out is not printable on a family website. Suffice it to say, I don't think we'll have a repeat. grin

frogs Wed 02-Sep-09 22:28:16

know, obv, not now.

lucykate Wed 02-Sep-09 22:31:48

i guess the worry is if they slip, fall, and break a lense and damage their eye, but nowadays, lenses are plastic, not glass like they used to be.

frogs Wed 02-Sep-09 22:35:47

It's based on nothing at all, apart from officiousness. If they want to know when a child should wear/not wear her glasses they should ask the flippin parents fgs, since they are the ones who have spoken to the relevant health professionals and actually KNOW.

Kids glasses just as likely to break at playtime as PE. More likely to break when not on child's face, as they get stepped on/sat on. Most kids glasses are massively robust nowadays anyway.

Sorry for rant...

lucykate Wed 02-Sep-09 22:42:42

when dd was little, her glasses were most likely to break when she was watching the telly, as that's when she would sit and constantly fiddle with the damn things. she managed to bend both arms back, and make both lenses pop out once. we've never had any problems during playtime or pe.

TheCrackFox Wed 02-Sep-09 22:51:36

I wear glasses and can't see past the end of my nose without them. How on Earth can you do PE without glasses? Bizarre.

mummydarlingsausage Wed 02-Sep-09 23:15:21

Thanks for all those replies. I will definately be asking she wear them as I agree it would be more dangerous for her not to wear them. She has a strong prescription which has been correcting a squint. frog i agree she would be more likely to have an accident at breaktime - i do wish the teacher had asked me and not dd who was probably worried about saying the wrong thing! thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now