Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I've hurt my wrist. Should I see a doctor tomorrow?

(9 Posts)
suiledonn Wed 02-Sep-09 20:49:54

I slipped on a wet floor today (during a day from hell)and slammed my hand hard on to the floor.
Due to aforementioned day from hell I didn't have time to dwell on it til now but it is really painful.
It hurts to rotate my wrist and to extend my last two fingers. Although it doesn't seem swollen I have shooting pains up my arm.
Should I see someone or just try to rest it?

PixieOnaLeaf Thu 03-Sep-09 13:26:13

Message withdrawn

luvaduck Thu 03-Sep-09 13:33:22

yes i would see a doc in case you have a scaphoid fracture amongst other things.
go to a minor injuries unit as gp would prob send you there.
nurse at practice not trained in this so that would be waste of time - either gp or minor injuries
is prob just a sprain but get it seen.

suiledonn Thu 03-Sep-09 15:26:01

Thanks. Still sore this morning but a bit better. I asked the pharmacist and she gave me a support to wear and said if it doesn't improve with rest (I have a 3 year old and a 9 month old so no chance) I should see someone tomorrow.

Still no swelling though.

bellavita Thu 03-Sep-09 15:29:12

suiledonn - last year someone pushed over DS1 at school. The school rang me to say he had hurt his wrist although there were no visible injuries or swelling but to take him to A&E as a precaution. He had a double fracture to his wrist!

weegiemum Thu 03-Sep-09 15:29:26

The danger in this case is what loveaduck mentioned - scaphoid fracture - its a wee bone in the wrist that fractures relatively easily in a fall like you describe, and if it doesn't heal well can cause trouble in the future (says the voice of experience having done it twice blush - both times falling up the stairs!)

The first time I did it I hardly had any pain at all and it was 2 weeks till I relaised something was wrong!

crumpet Thu 03-Sep-09 15:30:02

my ds tripped and the next day his wrist was v slightly swollen, sore etc - an xray showed it was fractured, and he was put in plaster

(we took him to the minor injury unit)

PuppyMonkey Thu 03-Sep-09 15:33:51

Ooh yes, I fractured my scaphoid. Hurts like a bugger though, and to be honest if you say you didn't dwell on it at first, you probably haven't broken it. Because imho, you would very definitely be dwelling on it... and you wouldn't want anything, including your sleeve, touching it. Etc.

suiledonn Thu 03-Sep-09 15:37:43

I am inclined to think nothing serious as I fractured my elbow when I was in my teens and it was agony like puppy described 'til I got to the hospital and got it sorted.

This is sore and uncomfortable but nothing like when I had the fracture.

I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks for all the advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now