Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

twisted bowel?

(8 Posts)
misdee Wed 01-Jun-05 11:10:03

my dad had an op last week for a double hernia. he is having another one as he is now sufferign a twisted bowel. i dont know if mieow has posted this anywhere so sorry if its a double post.

cant get to the hospital to visit him, my mum will be going up later. what does the op entail? what about recovery times?

misdee Wed 01-Jun-05 11:20:14

?

Flossam Wed 01-Jun-05 11:32:20

It might mean they have to remove the affected part of the bowel. It shouldn't be too serious, but it is an operation under General Anaesthetic, and will take a couple of hours probably. The bowel problem was probably caused by the hernia op. I wouldn't have thought that a stoma would be necessary, they should have counselled him on this if it is possible though. I don't know what area of the bowel is affected.

After he will still be NBM if things haven't changed, and will gradually start to have sips, building up gradually. He will be on a drip, and will be sore. He'll have to mobilise gradually, but the physio's should see to that! Poor thing, two ops in two weeks. Hope he recovers well.

sparklymieow Wed 01-Jun-05 17:56:22

No I hadn't posted about it, Misdee, Dad has gone off to Harlow hospital at 4pm.

Flossam Fri 03-Jun-05 06:50:41

BUmp, how is your DF, Misdee /Mieow?

sparklymieow Fri 03-Jun-05 07:32:02

It wasn't a twisted bowel, it was a large amount of clotted blood that was trapped. They have drained it off.

Flossam Fri 03-Jun-05 08:29:29

Not such a big op then, hopefully. Hope he recovers well.

misdee Fri 03-Jun-05 09:02:15

he said within 20mins of the blood being drained off he was running to the loo. great dad, too much info lol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now