Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Chicken pox affecting pregnancy?

(8 Posts)
tew Wed 01-Jun-05 10:55:46

Sorry if this has already been covered, but just been told that a baby at DD's nursery has chicken pox. If DD catches it, how could this affect my unborn baby (I'm 20 weeks pregnant?)

I've already had chicken pox, but have a feeling it can be passed onto unborn baby?

Pamina3 Wed 01-Jun-05 11:00:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bandbsmum Wed 01-Jun-05 11:03:08

If you've already had it there shouldn't be a problem, but phone your midwife and explain the situation and they can do a blood test to test your immunity. Also at 20 weeks your baby is a low risk even if you catch it. I had this when I was pregnant with my dd who is now 7 months and very healthy. By ds caught it at playschool when I was just 12 weeks. My blood test came back that I had no immunity even though I was sure I'd had it as a child, so they injected me with and antibody, then I was scanned by my consultant at 14 weeks and everything was fine, I didn't catch it from my ds.

bandbsmum Wed 01-Jun-05 11:03:09

If you've already had it there shouldn't be a problem, but phone your midwife and explain the situation and they can do a blood test to test your immunity. Also at 20 weeks your baby is a low risk even if you catch it. I had this when I was pregnant with my dd who is now 7 months and very healthy. By ds caught it at playschool when I was just 12 weeks. My blood test came back that I had no immunity even though I was sure I'd had it as a child, so they injected me with and antibody, then I was scanned by my consultant at 14 weeks and everything was fine, I didn't catch it from my ds.

tew Wed 01-Jun-05 11:03:09

Thx Pamina3, huge relief, will make sure DD kisses the other child a lot! What's HTH?

starlover Wed 01-Jun-05 11:05:04

you CAN have chicken pox more than once. A girl I went to school with had it twice, and my cousin has also had it twice.

So, don't assume you won't get it. Better safe than sorry!

peanut Wed 01-Jun-05 11:11:36

The offical line on this is that if you are less than 20 weeks pregnant and come into contact with chicken pox it can cause birth defects and it can also cause problems if you catch it within a few days of giving birth (as you will pass on the infection but won't have had a chance to pass on any antibodys) It can still affect your baby whilst you are pregnant even if you have had it before, the only safe time is from 20 weeks untill a week before giving birth.

tew Mon 06-Jun-05 10:03:11

Thx for this, am now 20 +5 days so even if I catch it now, should be ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now