Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Back ache with periods - questions about post-baby periods

(8 Posts)
FlamingoBingo Wed 02-Sep-09 18:12:11

Had back ache and the odd uterine cramp for weeks before my first post-baby period arrived three weeks and 2 days ago.

Now my back is aching again and I'm miserable. I used to get a bit of back ache a couple of days before my period, before having children. I'm dreading this pain every single month for weeks, rather than just a couple of days.

How did your periods change after having children? More painful? Less so? Pain for longer?

Not quite sure what, if anything, to do about it.

cocolepew Wed 02-Sep-09 18:17:49

Back ache could mean a tilted womb, as it gets bigger before your period it pushes on nerves.

FlamingoBingo Wed 02-Sep-09 18:20:57

Yes, it is retroverted. I've had coils before and been told that everytime. The backache I can cope with, but backache for weeks before each period? I only had a period 23 days ago.

After each baby, I've had weeks and weeks between each period, and then only had one or two before getting pregnant again.

We're not having any more children now, but I'm still bfing so expect my periods to be irregular and with long gaps. I'd be surprised if I had a normal pre-baby cycle length (27 days) first time round!

cocolepew Wed 02-Sep-09 18:24:58

Maybe it's a 'bad back' rather than caused by your periods IYSWIM, it just gets worse at period time because of your womb. I'd try an oestopath.

wonderingwondering Wed 02-Sep-09 18:26:59

My periods are heavier and more painful (for longer, too, a few days before) since having children. The mini-pill has helped with the pain and PMT, although they are still heavy occasionally.

cocolepew Wed 02-Sep-09 18:30:56

I never really answered your question did I? hmm My periods got much worse after my second (and last) pregnancy. I had the lining of my womb burnt away last year, now I don't bleed at all. I had my DD when I was 33 and the op when I was 40.

FlamingoBingo Wed 02-Sep-09 18:35:56

Hmm re. the back suggestion. That's a good point - could well be that. But then I've always had back ache with periods - just not for this long and this painful sad

Sagacious Wed 02-Sep-09 18:41:43

I have very bad back ache (not able to bend over and constant twinges)for about 3 days (2 days before and for the first day)

I have a tilted womb (midwife when pg said "crikey" on first examination)

Have never thought that the back ache was related but it sort of makes sense.

Sorry I know thats not helpfull to the OP BUT I have found a mooncup [hippy alert] helps (a tiny bit)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now