Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Something is wrong with me

(31 Posts)
trefusis Wed 01-Jun-05 05:07:34

Message withdrawn

sobernow Wed 01-Jun-05 07:26:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WideWebWitch Wed 01-Jun-05 08:05:07

Trefusis, I have to say I read your post and wondered if you were stressed/depressed. What does your GP say? I remember going to mine with a million minor things when I was depressed and she checked them all but, looking back, the mild (very in my case! Not suggesting yours are necessarily) symptoms were actually symptomatic of my being mildly depressed and leaping on every small thing with hypochondriacal zeal and taking them as proof that I was going to die soon. Ignore me if I'm way off with this comment. Are you looking after yourself? I mean are you eating well, relaxing enough, being kind to yourself? There was a recent thread, I'll see if I can find it, on how not to be so knackered, hang on.

WideWebWitch Wed 01-Jun-05 08:07:23

here it is, calling all career folks, manic mums and people who feel crappy - supplements etc There was some good advice on there IIRC. Obviously, ignore me if I'm totally wrong on this.

trefusis Wed 01-Jun-05 08:47:00

Message withdrawn

noddyholder Wed 01-Jun-05 08:57:19

trefusis i think you should go back and ask for an echo of your heart Some murmurs can eventually produce symptoms and sometimes mitral valve problems can produce the symptoms you describe It is easily controlled with medication Also could be stress making it worse I have a heart condition and stress can really trigger a bad episode

trefusis Wed 01-Jun-05 09:09:56

Message withdrawn

noddyholder Wed 01-Jun-05 09:15:25

An echo is not the same as a ecg it is a 3d image with sound and they can measure all the different functions of the heart.My consultant said that lots of people have minor heart and valve defects and never have problems You may just be really so stressed that you are making your heart jumpy Coffee and alcohol can both trigger mine so I never have caffeine and drink gallons of water with wine!I don't think you should worry too much as treatment is usually just mild I certainly wouldn't be able to do gardening etc like you can xx

trefusis Wed 01-Jun-05 09:45:06

Message withdrawn

trefusis Fri 17-Jun-05 13:19:03

Message withdrawn

noddyholder Fri 17-Jun-05 13:31:49

I would ring the doctors again and say you are getting worse If they hear the words dizzy or short of breath they usually have me in like a shot Do you get either of these?

KBear Fri 17-Jun-05 13:35:31

I had palpitations, sweats, dizziness, sleeplessness, lots of other symptoms too including heart murmur - it was overactive thyroid. Might be an idea to get this checked. Sorry you're feeling so rough.

macwoozy Fri 17-Jun-05 13:46:00

I don't know if an angiogram would actually be appropriate with your symptoms of palpitations. Normally an ecg, holter (the 24 hour tape) or echo like Noddyholder mentioned are the typical tests to find out if palpitations are a cause for concern. I know how frightining these palpitations can be, especially when you don't know the cause. When mine are particulary worrisome I've popped down to A and E, that normally gets the ball rolling.

noddyholder Fri 17-Jun-05 13:52:12

was going to suggest going to a&e it does speed things up I was repeatedly told I was suffering from anxiety I was eventually diagnosed in a&e

trefusis Fri 17-Jun-05 13:56:19

Message withdrawn

bundle Fri 17-Jun-05 13:57:48

radio programme on arrhythmias

trefusis Fri 17-Jun-05 13:59:54

Message withdrawn

trefusis Fri 17-Jun-05 14:00:30

Message withdrawn

bundle Fri 17-Jun-05 14:01:37

you can click on transcript if you'd rather read through. it's a range of conditions though so don't panic that you've got them all! x

bundle Fri 17-Jun-05 14:01:47

oops x post

horseshoe Fri 17-Jun-05 14:02:12

I have suffered the same symptoms as you describe. Started with fluttering for a year or so when I was 18 and then became full blown panic attacks. Then I was having really awful problems with indegestion.

The problem is, with this types of symptoms, it is very hard to place what exactly you are stressed about and that is why it manifests the way it does. The indegestion is caused by the body being tenser than usual and therefore causing problems with digestion. In the end I had to put my troubles down to be stressed at the pace of life in general and instead have had to focus on managing the symptoms.

For the fluttering, I treat is very much like I do a panic attack. I cup my ands over my mouth and breath in through my nose for 10 and out through my mouth for 7.

The indegestion was managed as I grew calmer. But in the meantime, chew slowey, do not lie down for an hour after eating. And I stay away from greesy foods as much as possible.

dinosaur Fri 17-Jun-05 14:07:21

trefusis I get arrhythmia, and a couple of years ago I had a full-scale attack of atrial fibrillation, which is where your heart beats far too fast and also the top two chambers don't beat properly, they just kind of vibrate. Horrible (thankfully no repeat since).

I find that severely limiting the amount of caffeine I drink helps enormously. I always notice now if I go to stay with my mum that my heart gets very fluttery at first because she's always making me cups of tea! Red wine (sadly) can be another trigger (that's what I'd been drinking the night I had the attack of atrial fibrillation). Heavy drinking in general is best avoided, as are very heavy meals shortly before you go to bed.

Taking time for proper relaxation is essential. My yoga teacher has been a great help with all this, she has shown me postures to do which have really helped - good for joint pains as well. If you don't do yoga already, it might be worth a try.

All the best, anyway. Gosh, there are a lot of us who suffer from this sort of thing, aren't there ?

trefusis Fri 17-Jun-05 14:09:02

Message withdrawn

horseshoe Fri 17-Jun-05 14:17:50

This might sound totally ridiculous but the one thing I find helps me is to face it head on.

I used to, when I got an attack, try and escape it and do everything I could like tell my partner not to speak to me, or walk it off which I found made me more dizzy.

Now when I get an attack, i kind of embrace it. Think, here it comes again but I know I'm OK cause I had it last week and I was fine. Then I breathe and I'm OK

The best thing you can do for the moment though is get any medical complications out of the way because as long as you think there could be something wrong no matter what you will always have that in the back of your mind and so no form of self-talking will help.

trefusis Fri 17-Jun-05 14:27:07

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now