Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

sleep remedies

(17 Posts)
alypaly Wed 02-Sep-09 01:52:43

anyone got any..i have tried everything i can think of, and nothing has given me a full nights sleep for the last 15 years and i am so fed up

alypaly Wed 02-Sep-09 02:03:58

going to try to sleep as it is now 2.02 in the morning

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 02-Sep-09 08:23:55

I think it sounds like quite a deep seated problem if its being going on for so long. How have you seen about it?

alypaly Wed 02-Sep-09 10:03:43

been to docs for help..he has tried me on sleeping tablets,all types of antideprssants as he thinks it might be depression.....been to hsopital to see if it might be sleep apnoea as i do snore on occasions.if i go away on hols with my boyfriend i hardly sleep at all unless i take 2 nitrazepam. i cant sleep at all if there is any noise when i am in bed yet i can have 10 minute power naps whilst watching tv.dont feel shattered,just envious of people who sleep well.dont know what to do next

alypaly Wed 02-Sep-09 10:05:13

am i depressed but dont realise it?

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 02-Sep-09 10:20:19

It actually sounds pretty rough for you. I suppose there are different options:

1)relook at the anti-depressants (did you manage to take them long enough for instance?) Which kinds did you take? some of them can be quite sedating.
2)Ask for counselling
3)Perhaps hypnosis might work?

Some people don't actually need that much sleep. are you trying to go to bed too early and then failing to sleep? I've read of programmes where you actually limit the amount of time in bed to just a few hours and gradually extend it. Hopefully someone here who knows what they are talking about will be able to help you with that.

alypaly Wed 02-Sep-09 10:33:51

i have had so much counselling in my 30's as i had alot of issues from my chidhood. I was a victim of abuse but i think i have got that out of my system now.
i have never been a believer in hypnosis as i am very stong willed and a was told you have to be very open to suggestion for hypnosis to work.

had to take anti depressants for years to get me thro the abuse thing and i still take them intermittently now . The gp has prescribed some old fashined ones because of their sedative effects, so when i am really at my wits end, i take one plus 2 sleeping tablets, but it leaves me with a really muzzy head for the rest of the day and i am loath to taking this concoction every day as i am well aware of the addictiveness of them.I am a pharmacy dispenser so i have been through virtually everyhting in the book with my Gp. The lack of sleep doesnt affect my job as i dont suffer from tiredness most of the time and it never seems to make me me grumpy. I would just love to feel normal and go to sleep properly, either alone or if and when my boyfriend stays

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 02-Sep-09 10:50:44

You've tried loads then. What would be your ideal nights sleep?

alypaly Wed 02-Sep-09 10:55:05

5 or 6 hours wud be an actual joy. sometimes i get 2 and then i just lie there awake all night. sometimes i get up and go and do the ironing or read as i was told not to lie there wrrying about it

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 02-Sep-09 12:18:44

2 hours

I'm probably going through stuff you've tried. I'm so not an expert but do go through periods of not sleeping well.

How would you feel about going to bed say 3 hours before you have to get up? Do that consistently for sserval nights with being really strict about the times and perhaps you will develop a good sound sleep for those few hours. Once you feel the quality of sleep is good then extend it to 3 1/2 hours and so on.

Would that work for you?

alypaly Wed 02-Sep-09 12:27:01

i'll try anything...thankssmile

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 02-Sep-09 12:37:36

Good luck, I hope it helps

Dazmum Wed 02-Sep-09 12:57:20

I have phases of waking in the night for about 3 hours and someone recommended Bachs rescue remedy or Bachs night rescue remedy. They might be a bit weedy for you as you have tried sleeping tablets, but might be worth a try! All natural and don't leave you muzzy. They work for me and aren't addictive, just seem to let you switch off thinking the same things over again and not being able to settle to sleep. Hope you find a solution soon.

alypaly Wed 02-Sep-09 13:37:21

thanks dazmum smile gettin a bit desperate now.

midnightexpress Wed 02-Sep-09 13:43:14

Is there any way you could get a referral to a sleep clinic? I'm not sure where they have them, or where you are, but they do exist (friend's DH was referred).

Here is a list of clinics in the UK.

alypaly Wed 02-Sep-09 14:00:52

i went to a sleep clinic in manchester and they attached a device to me for 24 hours.. all they seem to check for is sleep apnoea..they dont seem interested in the fact they i hardly sleep. I once went 6 whole weeks without a word of a lie with no sleep in hospital. i eventually got to sleep when they drugged me with 6 ( honestly ) six temazepam and all the nurses clapped in the morning. I was playing scrabble with the b=nurses all night to keep myself occupied as lying in bed is soul destroying when everyone else is asleep

midnightexpress Wed 02-Sep-09 16:01:35

I can only imagine. I suffer from mild occasional insomnia and it drives me nuts, so it must be just appalling. I hope you can find some answers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now