Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Coil insertion - first timer - any tips?

(17 Posts)
PrettyCandles Wed 02-Sep-09 00:09:44

I'm going to have my first ever coil (Mirena) inserted next week. Period has most annoyingly arrived today. GP suggested I take a couple of Nurofen beforehand.

Any tips?

I'm somewhat nervous...

benandalex Wed 02-Sep-09 00:15:00

just take nurofen and relax its not that bad honestly x

PrettyCandles Wed 02-Sep-09 14:56:15

How does it compare to, say, a smear test or vaginal examination?

Sugarmagnolia Wed 02-Sep-09 15:19:37

It will be sore - like maybe sore enough to make you want to swear. Worse than a smear but not nearly as bad as say, childbirth! I would say about on par with waxing which I'm a real wimp about.

ihatethecold Wed 02-Sep-09 19:01:16

no where near child birth pain, but not as easy as a smear, it can depend on the person doing the insertion. the more skilled they are the better,

PrettyCandles Wed 02-Sep-09 22:01:17

Maybe I should do what I do at the dentist - listen to Victoria Wood on my old Walkman! (Used to totally freak my dentist: she knew I was nervous, but instead of being upset I'd be laughing away as she ferretted around inside my mouth grin)

liath Wed 02-Sep-09 22:14:29

Definitely take some ibuprofen and eat something too as you might feel a bit faint after. And don't do what I did and attempt to walk the 3 miles home from the family planning place blush.

It is definitely more uncomfortable than a smear but not too bad and it was very quick. Much less unpleasant than the hysteroscopy I had pre-kids and a walk in the park compared to childbirth! Good luck.

littlejo67 Wed 02-Sep-09 22:16:22

When I had my coil inserted I did not feel anything. I was very nervous. A few minutes after I got some cramping which felt like period pain, but the actual insertion was totally painless. Which was a relief cos I am a real wimp.

MissMoopy Wed 02-Sep-09 22:20:21

Its like a short but instant period cramp and then small amount of discomfort for few hours. Nothing too awful at all x

Summertimefizz Thu 03-Sep-09 00:01:14

Can I just say the insertion of the coil is the easy part!!!!! Don't want to sound like scaremonger but have you been informed of the side effects of the Mirena coil? I had my 1st coil inserted 4 mths ago to ease heavy periods and have experienced, severe headaches, nausea, depression, gained 2 stone in weight, swollen fingers and acne!!!!sadI've visited my GP on serveral ocassions to vent my concerns and was told that my symptoms were not related to the coil. I thought I was going insaneshock No improvments with period nor with everything else. I was feeling very desperate until I found a thread on this site about the side effects of the coil and discovered a huge amount of other women were going through the samething as me if not worse!!! Even though I was relieved that I wasn't losing my mind, I felt very angry with my GP for not taking me seriously, nor fully informing of the pros and cons and also with myself for not looking into this more thoroughly before having this procedure. I wish I had done more research and hadn't just taken the limited info from my GP as gospel. I'm now having it removed in 2 weeks time and it can't happen soon enough. Sorry to sound so grim, as I know the coil has been sucessful for some, but it definitely isn't suitable for all...

IdrisTheDragon Thu 03-Sep-09 00:08:30

I personally found it uncomfortable. A lot worse than having a smear. And I shoudl have rested more afterwards (went faint while I was driving and had to pull over and recover).

Had cramps for about 24 hours but since having it put in last October I have had one period, get very occasional slight bleeding, have lost about a stone and my general depression is improving.

theslightlypeckishcaterpillar Thu 03-Sep-09 00:16:02

Truthfully, it hurt having it put in, but I dodn't take any pain killers beforehand.

Definitely worth it though as I've had it in 6 months now, and only had a few cramps the day I had it put in, plsu light beleeding in the firs couple of weeks, but no periods since.

sorry for spelling, had a few beers grin

alypaly Thu 03-Sep-09 00:22:55

honest opinion. it hurt alot and i have a high pain threshold. It set off cramps like contraction pains and i had to lie down at the surgery for half an hour before i could stand up. My gp even said i might expel it as if i was giving birth over the next 24 hours as it is a foreign body in your womb....so be prepared for the contractions and cramps... its not pleasant.

Summertimefizz Thu 03-Sep-09 08:06:24

Great to hear some sucess stories!!!smileBut as I said it doesn't suit all. I would like to make sure that PrettyCandles knows the flipside to this procedure.

Good Lucksmile

missingtheaction Thu 03-Sep-09 08:19:44

Another vote for Mirena - i trialled one of the early versions 16 years ago and have stuck with it since. First 6 weeks were a pain with off and on spotting, but have not had a period since and nor have I had PMT. I LOVE my Mirena and my family have much to be grateful for too.

Summertimefizz Thu 03-Sep-09 10:59:54

All I can go by is what I've experienced in the last 4 mnths, from being a healthy, active and enthusiastic person to what I am now which is the total opposite. Also reading up to 140 posts on MUMSNET from other women who have suffered the same symptoms. I STRONGLY believe this cannot be purely coincidental. Although I accept that this device has improved many lives tenfold, I must concede there are *DEFENITE DOWNSIDES* to the Mirena coil.

InMyLittleHead Sun 06-Sep-09 19:14:17

Take some quite strong pain killers, maybe Cocodamol if you know you are OK with it.

It did hurt me a bit, like a sharp period pain, with aching for a couple of hours afterwards. I also felt faint afterwards, but had not eaten anything that day (it was only 9.30am). So eat something and take painkillers, making sure you give them enough time to work.

I have heard a few bad things about the Mirena (which has hormones in it). Mine is just the straightforward copper coil with no hormones, seems to be working fine (as in I haven't gotten pregnant) and no side effects except slightly heavier and more painful periods, but nothing too bad..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now