Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Meningitis symptom...?

(5 Posts)
Bigglewinkle Tue 01-Sep-09 21:00:03

Hello, this is my 1st post on anything ever... so a bit nervous that I DO IT ALL WRONG wink

I've just come back from a disastrous holiday in Provence with my DH and 5 month old DS. It was way too hot and we all hated it so much we came home early, but that's another story.

I used the sling on the 1st day because DS was really not settling, crying/screaming and kicking his legs about as he was so over tired.
The next day he had what looked like a meningitis rash all over his legs, basically little bruises just as if he had septicemia. This was a disaster, it's Sunday in France and I'm convinced nothing will be open even for a medical emergency...

I phoned the Meningitis Trust line and got a very helpful lady who calmed me down and suggested that I needn't panic too much with just one symptom showing, and that using the sling the day before might have caused the bruises.

Now I wouldn't have mentioned this, but a friend of mine had previously used a sling for her DS and then found bruises/rash on his legs. At the time we were all worried enough that she took him off to the hospital where he had a big shot of antibiotics and blood tests, to find that there was nothing wrong.

So, I was wondering if this was something other MNers had found, and if people should be aware that using slings might cause slight bruising that looks like a meningitis rash.

It won't stop me using a sling, but it will definitely make me aware that it could be a factor in any mysterious rash that appears on DS's legs...

ZippysMum Tue 01-Sep-09 21:09:33

What sort of sling were you using?

Bigglewinkle Tue 01-Sep-09 21:15:44

it is a bushbaby cocoon, and he was facing me
my friend's was a kary-me, with her DS facing out

ZippysMum Tue 01-Sep-09 21:23:57

Hmmmm those are quite different, aren't they? Thanks for mentioning this. We have 2 Close baby slings for our twins and this might save me a panic later!

Bigglewinkle Tue 01-Sep-09 21:36:37

Glad you think it's useful, that's why i posted, i wouldn't want anyone else having the panic that i and my friend had!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now