Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Please give me your opinion on my periods!

(4 Posts)
dinosaurus Tue 01-Sep-09 16:48:46

I would be interested to hear whether you think my periods are 'normal'. (I know there is no 'normal' but you know what I mean!). My periods are fairly regular and last 4 - 5 days, which is obviously 'normal'. However, as I'm getting older they seem to be getting more and more troublesome (I'm in my early thirties). Some months I pass clots, and these can be as big as a large grape, however, in terms of having heavy periods, apart from the clots, a tampon will last several hours, so I don't believe that overall they are particulary heavy.

The other main problem is the pain which is alot worse now that say, 5 years ago. I get cramps and aches that shoot down my legs, severe bloating, which in itself is uncomfortable, and really low abdominal pain, back pain and left sided pain. The actual pain is almost akin to aches when you have flu for example, although this only lasts a day or too. I also get varying degrees of PMT. Some months it is dreadful, others manageable.

I have a feeling that I should go to the doctors because it just feels that my periods are more troublesome than they 'should' be, but am just interested to hear whether you think the above is 'normal' and something I should just put up with!

FabBakerGirlIsBack Tue 01-Sep-09 16:50:35

No, you should not put up with it as it bothers you. Go and see the nurse first and she will refer you to the doctor if she feels you need a more thorough check, ime.

whomovedmychocolate Tue 01-Sep-09 16:55:54

I have a similar issue and have endometriosis! I would suggest you do keep a diary for two months of symptoms and then go to the doctors and ask for a referral onto a gynaecologist - particularly if your mother or other siblings suffered from endometriosis.

One solution is the mirena coil which can stop your periods altogether, or taking nefamic acid to decrease the bleeding and help with cramping.

BosomForAPillow Tue 01-Sep-09 16:58:20

My periods also got more "troublesome" and I'd get cramps more as I got into late 20s/early 30s. Never passed clots though, I think that should be checked out.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: