Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Chicken pox

(8 Posts)
Iklboo Mon 31-Aug-09 18:58:45

Silly question I'm afraid ladies - it looks like DS (3.9) is coming out in chicken pox. Do we need him to see a doctor or is it OK to self-medicate with over the counter stuff?

cookielove Mon 31-Aug-09 19:00:23

depends how bad he gets and if he attends a nursery because they will need confimatuion if he has it

PrincessToadstool Mon 31-Aug-09 19:00:29

I didn't take DS to the doctor, just stayed home and covered him in calamine every half hour or so hmm

I hope you have friends with children who've had it, it was the most boring week of my life (... I may be exaggerating a bit...)

PrincessToadstool Mon 31-Aug-09 19:01:00

My DS attend(ed) nursery, I just emailed them, that was enough!

Iklboo Mon 31-Aug-09 19:02:16

I work full time so it'll be MIL who gets pox duty sad. He's not in nursery at the moment - he isn't due to start until 11th (which might have to be postponed now!)

cookielove Mon 31-Aug-09 19:05:10

depends how bad he gets it, a mild case and he can get over it quite quickly, you just need to make sure all the spots are scabbed over and then he should be fine to start

Lubyloo Mon 31-Aug-09 22:18:46

He'll be fine to start nursery on the 11th. They're ok to be back at school/nursery five days after the first spot appears.

Hope he feels better soon. Have just been through this with DD and she was miserable.

Feierabend Tue 01-Sep-09 09:37:52

If you're sure it's the CP, no need to see a doc unless he gets really bad. Just give him Calpol for the fever (I was advised no Ibuprofen with CP as it increases risk of secondary bacterial infections), Piriton for the itching and cover his skin in Calamine lotion / cream. Lukewarm baths with oatmeal or baking soda help with the itching, too. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now