Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

The coil and periods

(4 Posts)
thesockmonsterofdoom Mon 31-Aug-09 09:07:28

I was having a chat the other day and my friend was telling me that she doesn't have periods because she has a coil.
Now I have horrid periods and have never even considered that there was an option to make them stop.
So does the coil actually stop your periods or is it just a fortunate possible side effect?
Are there reasons not to have the coil fitted just to stop periods.

Plonketyplonk Mon 31-Aug-09 09:18:58

You probably would get the best advice from Family Planning. The Mirena coil has some hormones which can lessen periods. The bog standard copper coil does not reduce periods.

BBBee Mon 31-Aug-09 09:38:01

what plonk said - mirena coil lightens periods - my friend got one because of heavyperiods rather than contraception.

sandcastles Mon 31-Aug-09 10:47:26

Just research it carefully if you do go down this route & if you have issues with the PO pill, you may want to avoid it.

The hormone doesn't stay as localised as the dr's like to think & and it can cause some undesirable side effects!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now