Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I smell of piss

(19 Posts)
pissypants Sun 30-Aug-09 13:10:51

Have namechanged.

Had second baby 3 months ago (c-section). For the past month I have noticed that I am smelling of piss. Am doing pelvic floor exercises daily, and I don't notice any leaking when walking or anything. Knickers aren't wet - just the usual occasional discharge. And yet I smell of wee constantly. Even in the morning when all I have done at night is lie down. It's got so bad that hubby has commented on it blush - so other people must be able to smell it.

Any thought on what I can do, or what could be the cause?

sorky Sun 30-Aug-09 13:12:21

Could you have an infection? I would visit the GP I think

pissypants Sun 30-Aug-09 13:19:09

Don't think I have an infection. No pain or unusual discharge

purplepeony Sun 30-Aug-09 17:45:05

If you pants are not wet then you can't smell of urine. You would normally feel yourself leaking nad if you can't, it doesn't mean you aren't leaking BUT ther would be urine on your underwear. if not, then it's not urine you can smell- must be something else.

noddyholder Sun 30-Aug-09 17:46:39

Are you unwell in any other way?

trefusis Sun 30-Aug-09 17:54:27

Message withdrawn

Podrick Sun 30-Aug-09 17:59:55

Bacterial vaginosis could be the problem - an infection that your GP can sort out quite easily

scroobiuspirate Sun 30-Aug-09 18:02:37

maybe hormonal, and your pee is just stronger, and prob leaking a tinsy bit?

thats my excuse for my piss prob.

cocolepew Sun 30-Aug-09 18:02:49

purplepeony is right, if you're not leaking wee it can't be that. I do leak wee and I never smell of it. Go to your GP.

Thingiebob Sun 30-Aug-09 18:08:35

Sounds like it may not be urine. Definitely go to your GP. It is most likely an infection that can be cleared up with a course of antiobiotics pretty quickly.

You could be smelling gorgeous in no time at all if you get down to your GP!

SpawnChorus Sun 30-Aug-09 18:10:05

Do you also smell of wee when you're naked? Just wondering if it could be that your clothes aren't drying properly and are smelling mildewy.

Or could it be that your sweat smells of urine? I'm sure I've heard of this before...perhaps you could ask your GP?

pissypants Sun 30-Aug-09 20:57:21

Lots of ideas - thanks all.

SpawnChorus - that is interesting that sweat can smell of urine. I know that my overall 'smell' is much stronger now I'm breastfeeding. So maybe it is that?

Section scar could also be causing it I suppose. There are a couple of areas where it is a little red and raised. And I def still have an overhang.

I think I will go to the GP, though I'm embarrassed to blush.

fanjolina Sun 30-Aug-09 21:03:22

Do you have quite a clingy baby? I did with my first and found that I often had to take her into the toilet with me. As a result I wasn't always wiping as well as I should (holding baby at same time), and occassional droplets would get on to my clothes when I was trying to pull them up.
So some days I did have a whiff of wee about me blush. I wasn't damp, as it was only a drop or two. But I could smell it, particularly if it was a hot day.

Could this be what's happening with you?

tulpe Sun 30-Aug-09 21:27:48

In terms of your section scar....have never had a section myself but am thinking from general perspective that 3 months on, red and raised is not a positive sign? Perhaps other C-Section mummies can comment......

My pelvic floor was shocking until 4 years post-natal with DS2. Saw a gynae physio (no idea such a thing existed until spoke with GP). She was fab. Gave me all kinds of exercises and can now run on treadmill/across carpark etc with full bladder and still now leak. might be worth an ask.

pissypants Sun 30-Aug-09 21:33:52

Fanjolina - you might be on to something there. Not that I have noticed dripping, but I do have to take DD into the toilet with me as she won't be put down. So maybe I do drip a bit? Will pay more attention now and see if that stops the smell.

If not, will see the GP.

Tulpe - glad you got your pelvic floor sorted

mathanxiety Mon 31-Aug-09 02:25:11

Maybe the baby's nappies are a bit leaky?

pissypants Mon 31-Aug-09 16:26:10

Not the baby's nappies - if i sniff my trousers it definitely smells of wee right near my crotch, and not in ther areas. So if the nappies were leaking they wouldn't just drip onto my crotch area (as it is right between my legs). But good idea - thanks.

pissypants Mon 31-Aug-09 16:26:11

Not the baby's nappies - if i sniff my trousers it definitely smells of wee right near my crotch, and not in ther areas. So if the nappies were leaking they wouldn't just drip onto my crotch area (as it is right between my legs). But good idea - thanks.

Pushingonthrough Thu 10-Sep-09 17:28:24

Hi PP, was just starting another thread and spotted this one - the title drew me insmile

Urine and sweat both contain urea and are v similar in composition. If it is your sweat that's causing the problem then there are certain foods you can eat which will help to supress the smell. Turnip, aniseed and radish juice are all said to help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now