Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone have any experience of proctitis?

(4 Posts)
makeminealargeoneplease Sun 30-Aug-09 10:46:39

Had a colonoscopy yesterday sad and my gastroentologist has taken biopsies to investigate further to see what is causing my problem. He has said that I have a proctitis. Type of colitis which affects the rectum. I've had it for the last 10 years + but lately symptoms have become worse. Just wondering if anyone else out there has dealt with this and what caused it, what was the outcome/treatment was and how life with this IBD? Many thanks indeed, been trying to research all morning but there is not alot of information out there on the net.

fledtoscotland Mon 31-Aug-09 10:08:16

My FIL has this for 15yrs+ but has been worse since MIL died (to the point they were talking about surgery and a stoma). he is currently on a low residue diet and has been using predfoam enemas (both of which have been a bit help). At his worst he was incontinent but now he is a lot better. He takes balsalazide to keen the proctitis under control and it seems to be working.

hth

makeminealargeoneplease Wed 02-Sep-09 21:45:07

Thanks Fledto, good to know that the meds are working for your FIL and stoma has been avoided. I'm so anxious to get the results of the biopsy. Stress + diet is definitely a factor for me too....why do they make us wait so long? thanks for your post

Shedend Sun 13-Sep-09 15:36:05

I've had proctitis on and off for the past 3 years....I been on all the med's which have worked for a few days/weeks and then it comes back....About a month ago I decided to take matters into my own hands (after much research)...So I got some Aloe Vera gel tabs and take 3 in the am, 3 in the afternoon and 3 before bed...I also brought a tube of $7 hydrocortisone cream (1%) and mixed 5cc's of the cream with 5 cc's of water and give myself a retention enema 3 times a day....For the past two weeks I have been symptom free...I'm back to drinking coffee, beer and eating whatever I want without problems...It is heaven!

It may not work for you but it has 100% worked for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now