Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

hayfever in 4 month old?

(8 Posts)
starlover Tue 31-May-05 10:46:57

DS has been a bit whingy the last couple of days, and has had a runny nose and also not been finishing his bottles (used to guzzle them!)...

wondered if it could be hayfever? DP said he didn't think babies this young could get it, but I don't know.

if it is, can I give him anything for it?

starlover Tue 31-May-05 11:17:31

bump

catgirl Tue 31-May-05 11:46:26

don't know the answer, but thank you for reminding me that I must ring our GP, as I think my 2.8 year old is suffering too and I need to ask the question of what he can have! Will watch with interest. I have suffered with hayfever most of my life, and really hoped ds would escape - it is awful in children. As far as I know an allergy is an allergy and can happen at any age.

fisil Tue 31-May-05 11:47:52

We've thought that ds1 has hayfever every summer so far (he's 2 1/2 now). Each time the doctors/NHS Direct have said he's too young. But he gets the same symptoms every summer. Poor chap - we've not found a way to help him yet.

starlover Tue 31-May-05 11:57:54

my mum said that I had it when i was a baby... I was always fine when we went down to the beach, but anywhere else it was runny nose and general grumpiness!

Sparks Tue 31-May-05 12:53:06

I don't think it's true that "an allergy can happen at any age." Children's immune systems develop over a number of years and the way they respond to allergens (and infections) changes as they grow. It's true that hayfever is rare in chidren under the age of five. Of course it is possible that your ds is one of the rare cases. OTOH, if it's only been a couple of days, he might just have a cold.

I sometimes give my dd Piriton Syrup, but it's not recommended for babies under 1 year.

starlover Tue 31-May-05 12:56:46

sparks... that's pretty much what DP said!

i'll see how he goes. thanks

jessicasmummy Tue 31-May-05 13:21:02

jess is 10 months and everytime we are outside, its runny nose, streaming eyes and grumpyness.... not sure if its hayfever or whether the start of a cold?! seems worse outdoors though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now