Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

how do I tackle bed bugs???

(18 Posts)
flaminhell Fri 28-Aug-09 22:08:54

So for 2 weeks now I have had a very itchy head, neck, lots of little spots scattered in my hair and a few on my neck front and back, but I do have sensitive skin so I just thought I was having a reaction to something.

But the last few days the kids have been itching like crazy too, now its not head lice have checked and there is nothing there and I have been to the hairdressers twice since it started and he has seen nothing.

I have been to the chemist and she says more than likely bed bugs, so has aanyone got any experience, of what to do, and how to tackle them succsefully???

herbietea Fri 28-Aug-09 22:13:57

Message withdrawn

flaminhell Fri 28-Aug-09 22:17:02

Ohh, I cant believe it, could you see them are they visible? I have looked in all the nooks and cranies beds, mattress, carpets and found nothing. will cloths take such a hot wash??

herbietea Fri 28-Aug-09 22:44:09

Message withdrawn

flaminhell Fri 28-Aug-09 23:39:52

Thanks herbie I'll have a look, although might wait till morning the thought of them is making me itch. No no animals, and no bites on legs or arms, just itchy heads, although I only moved in here a few months ago, so could have been an earlier tenant.

CyradisTheSeer Fri 28-Aug-09 23:52:29

Message withdrawn

themoon66 Sat 29-Aug-09 00:07:26

Hoover your mattress.

flaminhell Sat 29-Aug-09 00:09:11

Thanks Cyradis, I will try anything, I'll even stick my head in the freezer if it helps!

browny Sat 29-Aug-09 00:22:38

It might be fleas, we had this problem when we moved into a rented flat years ago, we bought those fog cannisters than kill fleas, you can them from most shops like, Asda, Tesco etc,in their pet isle. HTH

flaminhell Sat 29-Aug-09 11:47:55

Right then, its definetly bed bugs, found the little suckers last night, in the beds I found probably 5 or 6 in mine and my daughters, I didnt disturb my son didnt want to scare the life out of him.

I have deloused all our hair and have found them, urghhhh,but my sons hair was crawling with them< i feel terrible that i have never noticed this and just thought it was nothing< if anyone has any ideas or has heard anything that has worked please let me know i will try anything.

CyradisTheSeer Sat 29-Aug-09 15:00:35

Message withdrawn

flaminhell Sun 30-Aug-09 16:57:11

Thanks Cyradis, think first thing tuesday morning I will have too, although I am now the queen od dettol, steaming and the vac!!!!The house is spotless, the little critters are getting less, but im not waiting for round 2, I am going to call Pest Control.

SlartyBartFast Sun 30-Aug-09 16:59:23

vaseline on the legs, of the beds, i thought that's where they lived, in the legs of the beds?

SlartyBartFast Sun 30-Aug-09 17:00:20

interesting article i read here

flaminhell Mon 31-Aug-09 02:11:30

Great thanks Slarty I will give it a read.

ChopsTheDuck Mon 31-Aug-09 08:12:50

You def do need to call pest control. You may also need to replace the beds. They are an absolute fecking nightmare to get rid off.
If you have divans, they will likely be riddled with them. They can also get in the seams of mattresses. We had to bin the lot, and the kids slept oon ready beds until we got rid of them.

We moved into a rented property not realising there was bed bugs until it had completely infested our beds. Another tell tale sign is blood spots on the walls, etc. especially in the corners, and near the skirting.

We had to have the pest guy come out two or three times before we completely got rid of it. They sprayed the rooms. All the bedding had to be boiled. Last resort is fogging which was to be our next step if the spraying didnt work.

flaminhell Mon 31-Aug-09 22:20:46

Oh no chops, I cant believe my bad luck, how much did it cost to get the pest man in?

ChopsTheDuck Tue 01-Sep-09 09:26:52

well I called the council and they dealt with it for free. I think it fell under certain things that the council had to deal with for free in the interests of public health. I'd try them first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now