Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

TMI TMI TMI - you have been warned. Worried about my tum. Digestion, etc.

(9 Posts)
myembarrassednamechange Thu 27-Aug-09 10:03:55

I so don't want to post this, but I also don't want to face the GP as it is awful and embarrassing and gross.

God I don't even want to write it down. Who will even read this, it says TMI and it's about stomach issues.

Well anyway if you are made of stern stuff, here goes:

lately I am always somewhere between feeling constipated and like I will have diarrhea and have even panicked and felt like I would have bowel incontinence - only to rush to the loo and have nothing. I don't seem to be having as much... or as much... ugh sorry... bowel movements and I seem to be passing an awful lot of mucus. I have wind and cramp and gurgle a lot. I have not actually had diarrhea just felt like I would, and not really been constipated either but again felt that kind of discomfort.

What is wrong with me? Is this what IBS is like? Or is it too much wheat, or sugar, or carbs? My diet isn't that bad overall, lots of veg, not enough fruit, perhaps a bit heavy on bread pasta and less potatoes and rice.

what can I do? please don't tell me to go to the doctors because I am not brave, if changing my diet will make me better I will do that, just can't face the doctors, for one thing they make you tell them OVER THE PHONE what is wrong before you are even allowed in so I just won't do it.

myembarrassednamechange Thu 27-Aug-09 10:04:47

I don't seem to be having as many... or as much...

sorry.

franklymydear Thu 27-Aug-09 10:06:36

1) Keep a food and symptom diary

2) get yourself some acidopholus from health food store - or if you must drink yakult (or similar probiotic) daily

3) Do not panic

4) tell receptionist that you wish to discuss with your doctor and not them and would like an appointment please

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 27-Aug-09 10:08:19

Sounds like it could be a wheat problem - why don't you try cutting out all wheat products and see if it makes any difference.

Is there any reason why you might have developed IBS? Stress, recent antibiotic usage, recent illness?

Don't be embarrassed though - this is pretty mild compared with many things you might have to talk to your doctor about. At least you don't have to show him/her any part of yourself!

FlightHattendant Thu 27-Aug-09 10:11:10

You may have an infection, you really should go to the Dr.
You don't have to talk to the receptionist, say it is extremely private and you can't tell them.

Please get seen, it could be something easily sorted out.

Mumcentreplus Thu 27-Aug-09 11:13:29

This really sounds like you have IBS..I exprienced exactly the same sypmtoms i also had acute stomach pain, it's very embarrassing to explain but the bluddy receptionist does not need details! just say you need to see the doctor and will discuss your problems with him/her...

I had a very stress-ful job and didn't realise at the time it was affecting my health..it's really hard for people to understand how deblitating this illness can be..I changed jobs and it really made a difference..having babies helped too for some reason hmm

SweetnessAndShite Thu 27-Aug-09 11:47:57

Look, I don't want to seem overdramatic but you should really see a doctor about any change in bowel habits like this. I understand it's embarrassing and you probably will be diagnosed with IBS but surely you'd rather go through that than be diagnosed with something worse when it's too late. Lecture over.

ThingOne Thu 27-Aug-09 20:44:04

Lecture from me too. Discussing bowel movements with your GP is perfectly normal. I wasn't embarrassed and it has saved my life after I was diagnosed with colo-rectal cancer at 40.

Plonketyplonk Tue 01-Sep-09 13:47:15

It could be any number of things. If you are prepared to discuss what goes into your mouth, you need to open up about what comes out the other end. I ended up in A & E twice in crippling agony, then a day later, was admitted for tests. If you are well enough to get to your gp, it is far more dignified than the alternative!

When I became ill, I wasn't in a position to see my gp and had just come out of hospital after a mastectomy. Oh the timing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now