Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Low blood sugar - best way to stop the shaking?

(22 Posts)
Feierabend Wed 26-Aug-09 10:35:14

I have always suffered from low blood sugar, sometimes so bad that I start shaking. I never know what to eat to make the shaking stop really quickly - would something sugary be better than say, a sandwich and some cheese? Or would it make me worse?

magso Wed 26-Aug-09 10:42:29

Personally I prefer cereal bars - easy to keep in my bag. If at home a sandwich or bowl of porridge does the trick better.

tink123 Wed 26-Aug-09 10:51:35

long acting carbs like magso suggested are better. I get this, suddenly feel shaky and sick

Feierabend Wed 26-Aug-09 10:59:17

Am still waiting for the bread and cheese to kick in properly... cereal bars are a good idea, will buy some. I suppose they combine the instant sugar hit with long acting carbs. Thanks.

Feierabend Wed 26-Aug-09 10:59:55

Also when I am really shaky I find it difficult to make a sandwich - I keep dropping everything grin

MrsMattie Wed 26-Aug-09 11:00:25

Glucose tablets in your handbag? I usually reach for a bottle of cold Lucozade if poss, or keep a banana or piece of fruit and some water on me at all times.

Feierabend Wed 26-Aug-09 11:01:59

I am so glad I am not the only one! My PILs always seem to think I am a bit odd for needing regular feeding and watering... it was much worse during my pregnancies, whenever we went for a walk I'd have some emergency food in my pocket...

Bleatblurt Wed 26-Aug-09 11:05:06

Eat a biscuit then have a sandwich or similar. The biscuit will raise your sugar levels so that you feel better and the sandwich will keep your sugar levels even afterwards.

passionfruity Wed 26-Aug-09 11:13:19

Have a banana

Podrick Wed 26-Aug-09 11:37:59

How often does this happen?

It happens only rarely to me since I found out how to adapt my diet better. If it happens most days then you can probably make some changes to how you eat that will make the frequency much less.

If I eat white bread at lunchtime I can pretty much guarantee I will feel shaky by 5pm, particularly if I didn't have much protein in my lunch.

for those people who don't suffer it is hard to understand how horrid this condition is.

Feierabend Wed 26-Aug-09 11:59:33

Doesn't happen that much as I eat a lot of wholemeal bread, and always a healthy breakfast (muesli or weetabix or porridge with fruit), and snack on fruit and cheese in between. It's mostly when I forget to have a second breakfast mid morning. Breastfeeding my 4 month old means I need ridiculous amounts of food at the moment!

theDMplagiarisedLeonie Wed 26-Aug-09 12:05:22

Message withdrawn

memoo Wed 26-Aug-09 12:09:29

I would defiantely try glucose tablets. They work every time.

I have gestational diabetes and use them loads.

Joe90 Wed 26-Aug-09 12:25:38

Glad I am not alone too, have found it hard to set a good example on days out/shopping trips when I am the one who needs the emergency snack kwim! It is very frightening, I break into a sweat, shake and can't think straight and I find the diet advice confusing as I also have IBS and can't eat wholemeal bread. I think caffeine aggravates the situ but I am addicted to that too. I hate waiting for meals when invited out, especially if family, waiting for the turkey to cook on Christmas day is maddening as I know there will be so much food in an hour or so but my body cannot wait until 2 or 3! Also it took years for dh to realise that no I couldnot hang until 8 or 9 for tea. I pack Baby Bells and crackers if I am organised as they can sit in a bag or glove box for ages and try to take a banana in a banana saver if I have one spare. If out shopping it's usually a sugary drink such as fanta and a bar of cadburys dairy milk!

trefusis Wed 26-Aug-09 12:33:05

Message withdrawn

hanaflowerhatestheDM Wed 26-Aug-09 12:33:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Feierabend Wed 26-Aug-09 13:00:23

Where do I get glucose tablets from? I tried to find some for my hospital bag but had no clue where to look.

Yes coffee definitely makes things worse, I drink decaf.

CyradisTheSeer Wed 26-Aug-09 15:17:54

Message withdrawn

memoo Wed 26-Aug-09 15:58:23

you can get glucose tablets from any chemist feiera

Feierabend Wed 26-Aug-09 16:23:34

Thanks!

kittycatty Sun 30-Aug-09 11:45:59

Lucozade tabblets work wonders for me.

HelenHighwater Sun 30-Aug-09 13:46:40

I get this. I find dried fruit really helps, esp raisins. Packed full of sugar and counts as one of youir five a day

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now