Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ouch!!!! Wasp sting

(11 Posts)
elliemac Tue 25-Aug-09 21:25:44

Just experienced my first wasp sting yesterday. Its on the inside of my forearm. Really hot, swollen and itchy. Its actually spread quite a bit. Is that normal? What should i do? Please help a sting virgin grin

FluffySaysTheDailyMailsShite Tue 25-Aug-09 21:26:29

put some vinegar on it.

Littlefish Tue 25-Aug-09 21:42:47

I agree with Fluffy - you put vinegar on wasp stings and bicarbonate of soda on bee stings.

CyradisTheSeer Tue 25-Aug-09 21:44:29

Message withdrawn

elliemac Tue 25-Aug-09 21:48:59

Thanks. Will give the vinegar a go. Little bugger. Was just sitting enjoying my latte and out it came from nowhere. Stung right thru my jumper too!!!

mummylin2495 Tue 25-Aug-09 22:19:36

i was stung a few weeks ago righ through my thick gardening gloves.I had to quickly take my ring off as my finger swelled rapidly,by the morning it had swollen right down into my hand so had to go the chemist and get antihistamine cream,which after a couple of days did the trick ,i was also told by the chemist to take piriton. It was a good ten days before i was able to get my ring back on and i have to say that when the wasp stang it damn well hurt !

HeadFairy Tue 25-Aug-09 22:21:25

They're horrible. I was stung a couple of weeks ago and it itched like crazy for a good ten days afterwards... it was really swollen for days - but that could have had something to do with my incessant scratching

mummylin2495 Tue 25-Aug-09 22:28:46

The trouble is the more you scratch it the more it seems to spread the poison/venom ,i even tried jusrt rubbing it gently to get rid of the itch ,but it still caried on swelling.The stupid thing is dh had just been stung a few minutes before ,so i said to him "oh let me finish that " Only a minute later i got stung too.!I was thinking he was a wimp till i got stung myself grin but of course mine was so much worse !

gingerbunny Tue 25-Aug-09 22:35:23

poor ds has been stung twice in 2 weeks, antihistamine cream and meds have helped. I've also found some suntan lotion with wasps repelant in. (soltan boots)this seems to work as the little buggers come up to you but don't settle on you and most come near, smell it and fly off again. make sure it says wasp repeliant and not just insect.

HeadFairy Tue 25-Aug-09 22:55:16

so true mummylin... I'm sure I prolonged my agony with ridiculous levels of scratching. Of course if it was ds I'd constantly be at him to stop scratching, but unchecked I went a bit scratchtastic!

AbbyLou Wed 26-Aug-09 10:43:18

DD (2) got stung last week while we were camping. She screamed at first and then just cried poor thing. Her finger swelled up, then her other fingers, then her hand so we took her to a chemist. They gave us Piriton for her and that worked really well. They said if it is swelling watch for the red line (where the swelling stops) and if it's moving up your body you need to get checked. Dd was fine after a few hours but is now terrified of wasps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now