Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tell me about having a Laparoscopy?

(19 Posts)
boneybones Tue 25-Aug-09 21:15:34

May have to have one, are you awake? does it hurt do you have to stay in overnight?

Beauregard Tue 25-Aug-09 21:22:32

I had one years ago.General anesthetic,small incision in navel (for camera)and one lower down (for air to go in,think they pump you up?)Done during day surgery ,home by evening as you can pee.
Woke with pain in chest following the surgery which is common i was told and due to the air they put in.I was given pain relief blushup my bottom.Recovery was good tbh and back at work (manual job)in 7 days.

That is all i remember tbh.

Beauregard Tue 25-Aug-09 21:23:21

*as long as you can pee*

50ftQueenie Tue 25-Aug-09 21:27:53

Yup that is pretty much all there is to it. How long it takes to recover depends on what you're having done. I had one 4 years ago and although it turned into a 2.5 hour op, I was home that night and back to work the next week. The pain PFNM described is linked to the gas that they use to inflate your tummy (so they can see things in there) escaping out of your shoulders. Some people find the escaping gas painful, personally I didn't' suffer with it.

hester Tue 25-Aug-09 21:33:02

I really did suffer with the gas. The op itself was nothing; the gas, very painful. But you know, when I say 'very painful, obviously not REALLY painful like childbirth. I was still home within a few hours, and up and around next day.

A lot of women don't suffer with this at all. So in terms of equivalent experiences I'd probably bracket it with having a tooth out. Not pleasant but certainly nothing to worry about. Good luck!

hester Tue 25-Aug-09 21:34:11

I should add that I had mine done nearly 20 years ago. As with most medical procedures, they may well have got better at it since then smile

boneybones Tue 25-Aug-09 21:36:41

Thanks ... why so long a recovery period "back to work in 7 days"!!!!

50ftQueenie Tue 25-Aug-09 21:48:37

Even though the op is generally fairly painless, you are still having your insides fiddled about with. Again, if you're having something done rather than just an exploratory op, you might need longer. I had a cystectomy and was back to work after 7 days, but a friend had a section of bowel removed and it took her a lot longer to recover.

Beauregard Tue 25-Aug-09 21:51:13

Had mine done about 15 years ago and my job involved a fair bit of lifting hence the 7 days.

shelleylou Tue 25-Aug-09 22:40:05

I had one <<counts on fingers>> 5 years ago. Had to have a week of work because of the area it is so the incisions heel properly. I wasnt even allowd to lift the kettle for a couple of days. I was in and out the same day think my op lasted bout 2-3 hours becuase of treatment being done at the same time. Had some discomfort in the shoulders but tbh it was a relief compared to the pain i had been having.

leisurely Wed 26-Aug-09 08:58:56

I've had three and farted like a bandit following two. It may be a good idea to ask the surgeon to try to make sure he deflates you as much as possible. Gas pain can be quite severe. I had peppermint water which was hopeless, DH went to Boots and got me some peppermint capsules, which, while much more effective at relieving trapped wind, cause your bottom to sting due to the essential oil in them.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 26-Aug-09 09:05:19

Laparoscopy is normally done under general anaesthetic. It is keyhole surgery so there are only small incisions made. Its usually done too if endometriosis is suspected.

I was a day case and home that same evening. They made sure that I could urinate and pass stools without problems. You will need someone to collect you and bring you home.

The CO2 used to get a better view of the organs can be painful post op as that gas travels upwards. I had a pain in my left shoulder that lasted a number of hours but painkillers took the edge off it. I was advised to have two days off work post op but felt better the next day post op.

You must ensure that you have a follow up appt within a week of the lap to discuss its findings. Ask about this.

boneybones Wed 26-Aug-09 13:22:46

Thanks makes sense now....Im really scared about this, hate hospitals and hate the thought of going under/knocked out.

Im waiting for an appointment but the hospital rang this morning to talk to me but hubby told them I was at work and didnt take a phone number, they said they would call back at 6pm - strange they rang, I was told I would receive a letter asking me to call to make an appointment.

Im still really scared!

Vigilanteawarenessraiser Wed 26-Aug-09 14:22:48

Look on it as an opportunity to treat yourself to a nice new nightie (better not pyjamas imo, as they can be a bit uncomfy round your tummy) or even a new fleecy bed jacket and slippers if you can stretch to it. Get some nice (but light) food in for when you come home, something you like to eat but that won't give you wind, and someone else to cook it for you. If possible, get your family to spoil you a bit - you won't feel too ill to enjoy it, just a bit under the weather. Have you got someone who can cook for you and fetch cups of mint tea?
Then you just curl up in bed (nightie, comfy knickers and possibly a sanitary pad, depending on what was done) and sleep off the after-effects of the anaesthetic.

Don't drink anything fizzy.

I've had 2 - first, 2 years ago, was only diagnostic, very quick, was kept in overnight and took a few days to recover properly as however minor the procedure is it still involves a GA and that can be quite a knock to your system, depending on how you react. Second was a seven-hour affair when they removed a chunk of bowel among other things and i was kept in for 2 weeks and took some time to recover. Again, worst thing for me was the GA as I always react badly to them and I was under for a long time.

If it's just diagnostic, no post-op pain to deal with apart from gas as people have mentioned. Put a hot water bottle on your shoulder and take 2 ibuprofen.
If it's operative, post-op pain is at least much less than with open surgery. I was very scared when I had my first minor one, but not at all when I had my big one - it's much less scary when you've done one.

JonAndHateTheDailyMail Wed 26-Aug-09 14:42:46

Had a diagnostic laparoscopy 1.5 years ago to check for endometriosis.
Was absolutely fine after 2 weeks and haven't had any problems since.

Have problems dealing with pain so it took me a while to recover. Went back to work after one week but in hindsight should have waited for 2 weeks because of my job (long periods of sitting which was a nightmare with my swollen tummy but a lot of moving around too!).

Didn't get any shoulder pain but the GA made me feel a bit odd mood wise and my stomach was so bloated it was really painful after eating. Like there was not enough space and my skin was stretching too much.

Having said all that, would have another one tomorrow, if needed, without giving it a second thought!

Oh yes, do make sure you are coping with the pain, nausea, etc before they take out your IV line. An injection won't work as well/quickly and on your way home to pick up celeb trash New Scientist, you'll throw up in the hospital's WH Smith. You'll feel much better afterwards though grin

JonAndHateTheDailyMail Wed 26-Aug-09 14:50:28

boneybones I was really scared beforehand too. Was convinced they would make a mistake and kill me or something. Even told them I was seriously considering going home.

They were really kind and understanding, gave me something to call me down whilst I was waiting and let DH stay with me even when they gave me the GA.

Give Day Surgery a call a few days before your date so they can make sure whoever is in charge on the day knows you're worried and tell them again on the day.

They were really kind and patient.

This was in a very busy inner London hospital!

yummyspottyblueberry Wed 26-Aug-09 15:09:56

Identical experience to pelvicfloornomore 8 yrs ago ( also identical to her name but that's nothing to do with the lap hmm)

boneybones Wed 26-Aug-09 21:08:09

Thanks for your reassuring words...hospital didnt call back so Im assuming they will write asking me to call to make an appt.

Feel abit better thanks again

boneybones Fri 28-Aug-09 17:40:11

Got my appointment through for my first consultation - any idea how long its takes the operater said 10/15 mins which I thought was a little short!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now