Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Chrons Disease - PLEASE help me to help my DS

(6 Posts)
Anste Tue 25-Aug-09 20:26:27

A very brief description - but feel free to ask questions.

DS diagnosed 18 months ago, put on Immune Suppressents (sorry don't know name) first lot didn't work as he came out in lumps and had bad side effects. Now on second type, but he's struggling, still bloated and very tired.

Problem is he will NOT go to the doctor (consultant appt in a month) as he wants to change job and doesn't want visits to doctor on his medical notes. I wonder if he needs just a vitamin or something simple.

Please help if you can. p.s. he's 29.

Annie12 Tue 25-Aug-09 21:28:43

Hi Re. Crohns Disease - google CD and probiotics. Visit a naturopath. NHS is a waste of time - all they want to do is stop the symptoms but not look for and treat the cause.

labyrinthine Tue 25-Aug-09 22:13:35

crohns disease is a very serious disease that flares up and dies down causing inflammation in any of the mouth,gullet,stomach,small and large intestines,causing weight loss,fatigue,pain,blood/mucous loss,diarrhoea,nausea,vomiting,loss of nutrients,general inflammation in the body with fever,protein loss,dehydration,anaemia,and effects on other parts of the body such as the eyes,joints,blood etc.

Vitamins/nutrient drinks may be prescribed as a supplement but the immunosuppressants act on the inflammation to treat the acute illness.
Without medical treatment,symptoms can get worse and worse and be fatal.

If he is in remission,treatment can be stopped/reduced on medical advice gradually.

He has to go to the DR,has to take his treatment and it shouldn't be ignored.

Sorry,I really am but he must keep up with his appts.

Anste Wed 26-Aug-09 09:13:50

Thank you labyrinthine. I will have to insist he goes to Doc. Oh how I wish he was little again and I could take him myself, this mum bit gets hard sometimes.

You know a lot about the condition - at the moment he has terrible fatigue, stomach bloating and pain and swollen ankle joints. He is worrying me. Will report how things are going. Thanks again.

labyrinthine Wed 26-Aug-09 09:26:43

smile
have you looked at the websitewww.nacc.org.uk

Anste Wed 26-Aug-09 18:17:06

Yes - look at it fairly often. I've introduced my son to it too. However the prob is getting him to see his GP (or consultant). Have nagged him again today. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now