Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Serious pain under the ribcage!

(14 Posts)
Mia88 Tue 25-Aug-09 18:57:49

I'm 18 weeks pregnant today and I have had a brilliant pregnancy, not felt a thing or been nauseous.
But while waiting for the bus home today from been to the store I started feeling really warm and naseous, like I really needed to vomit. But there were so many people there so I couldn't.
Then all of a sudden I hit the pavement, I fainted.

When I got home I tried going to sleep but I had this extreme pain under my ribs and it didn't go away no matter what I did. I couldn't breathe and just cried silently. It probably lasted for half an hour.

Any idea what it could be? I still feel really sick and dizzy with slight pain.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Tue 25-Aug-09 19:04:08

Sorry, no real idea.

Rib pain can point to pre-eclampsia, but I would think it is too early on in your pregnancy to have symptoms. I may be wrong though.

What with feeling unwell and fainting I strongly suggest you speak to your MW.

It's probably nothing, but get it checked out to put your mind at rest.

I hope you feel better soon xxx

belgo Tue 25-Aug-09 19:07:46

You should be seen by your doctor asap - that means now. Hopefully it's nothing serious but fainting and severe pain needs to be checked out immediately.

Mia88 Tue 25-Aug-09 19:25:15

But the thing is the midwife and hospital has checked my urine and blood pressure, they say everything is fine. But obviously it's not fine..

And I'm very confused when they say I have normal blood pressure. When I lived in Sweden I was monitored often by my GP cause of my 'unnaturally high pressure' and I've always had that.

I wonder if the midwives just don't say that, cause that would mean more regular check-ups and it will cost them more!

I'm always this conspiratorical by the way :P
x

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Tue 25-Aug-09 19:34:16

If you feel you are not being listened to by your MW how about seeing your GP?

I don't think they wouldn't see you because of the cost of more appointments tbh. Maybe they haven't seen your bp history?

Mia88 Tue 25-Aug-09 19:44:43

it's cause they can't, it's in swedsh back in Sweden.
I feel they've made an enormous error saying all this time to me I have fine blood pressure when I don't. You don't faint from 'fine blood pressure'.

Everything goes too fast. I've read loads of stuff the hospital and midwives are supposed to do, like measuring your bump.

When I went to my Gp about normal stomach cramps he just touched my stomach said it was fine and wondered what I wanted him to do.

thirtysomething Tue 25-Aug-09 19:49:46

I had this in my first preganancy. GP wondered about gall stones then ruled that out; also tested me for a liver condition that occurs in pregnancy (cholestatis or something like that?) Nothing showed up but I did get pre-eclampsia a few weeks later so wonder if there could be a link? He also suggested it was DS' feet banging my ribs (as I am very short) from around 26 weeks as I still had the pain then...it went as soon as I delivered.

thirtysomething Tue 25-Aug-09 19:50:19

By the way you need to be seen urgently if the pain is that severe. Good luck!

Mia88 Tue 25-Aug-09 20:03:30

Thank you, I will make an appointment tomorrow. Even though it is too early to spot pre-eclampsia there must be a link between the fainting and the pain.

Hopefully someone will be able to tell,

thank you
x

Klaw Tue 25-Aug-09 20:18:17

ALWAYS get pain under ribcage checked out. It may be a result of your fall but it may be something more serious, like Pre Eclampsia as others have mentioned.

belgo Wed 26-Aug-09 07:29:00

Hope you are feeling alright today Mia, and get a full medical check up today, I think you really need to find out what's going on. Hope all is fine.

FlightHattendant Wed 26-Aug-09 07:41:17

Hope you manage to get seen properly today - possibly you pulled a muscle there when you fell? But I would be more worried about theother possibilities, so please talk to someone today.

ChopsTheDuck Wed 26-Aug-09 07:50:00

agree you need to get checked out.

I had pain in my ribs during pg and was ambulanced to hospital and had to have a xray thing to check for blood clots. It actually turned out I had a partially collapsed lung due to a breech baby pushing his head on my chest.

Blood clots need treating asap, and you need checking.

mathanxiety Wed 26-Aug-09 19:00:33

Anemia can make you feel faint and nauseous. Have you ruled out gallstones as the cause of the pain?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now