Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Implanon - Would you recommend it?

(14 Posts)
Phoenix Mon 24-Aug-09 22:20:08

Just tell me anything about it cos i'm thinking about getting it. Pros and cons please

RustyBear Mon 24-Aug-09 22:24:01

You might like to look at this recent thread

Phoenix Mon 24-Aug-09 22:27:07

blush Thank you, didn't think to look for old threads. I don't know why cos i looked for old mirena coil threads.

Narketta Mon 24-Aug-09 22:39:34

I had the implant in march. Within a couple of hours of having it in I felt exhausted just so tired I could hardly keep my eyes open. Since march I have had the following symptoms.

Headaches.
constant spotting.
tiredness.
Mood swings.
Lack of concentration.
Hair loss.
Nausea.

I went to see my GP last week and told her that I thought it was the implant that is to blame because I was perfectly healthy before I had it put in. She sent me for blood tests which I get the results of tomorrow.
My Gp has said that all of my symptoms can be linked to the implant and that if my blood tests come back clear she will remove the implant.

feetheart Mon 24-Aug-09 23:00:56

Just had mine out today after 3 years and haven't had any problems.
Had no periods for first 8 mths tho was still bfing (period returned THE DAY I stopped feedingangry) After that it settled down to about 1 period every 2 months though in the last 6 mths it got a bit weird with lots of spotting.
Didn't get any of the other symptoms that Narketta has had thankfully.

Didn't get a new one put in as I've gone for the Mirena coil which I should be able to have in for 7 years (being an old fogey!)

Narketta Mon 24-Aug-09 23:54:55

feetheart What was it like having it taken out? Was it painful?
As much as I want it taken out I can't say i'm looking forward to actually having it done!!

Sorry for hijacking your thread Phoenix

StayFrostysOtherSister Mon 24-Aug-09 23:58:46

I put on 2 stone. And my periods, instead of bleeding for one week out of 4, I had one week out of 4 when I was not bleeding. Utter nightmare.

ABitBatty Tue 25-Aug-09 00:54:04

I would not recommend it to anyone either. I was tired and bled three weeks out of four. was at Weight Watchers at the time and could not shift a lb in weight until I had it taken out and weight then dropped away.
I was really scared of having it out as they told me sometimes if you put on weight then it can get buried under new fat and need cutting and digging out shock , however, mine was fine and just popped back out.
Never again for me.

purpleflower Tue 25-Aug-09 01:21:08

I've had mine in since December. While I was still breastfeeding it was absolutely fine. Since I stopped I feel pregnant, extreme tiredness, 1 week on, 1 week off and I also think it is making my PND worse I felt a bit rough before it was put in but it has just got worse and worse and when I googled it alot of people had suggested depression as a side effect.

If you had asked 3 months ago I would've sung it's praises but now I'm looking to get it out. Now I'm stuck as to what I'm going to do for contraception as I love the ease of it but don't like coils

Vitka Tue 25-Aug-09 09:41:38

I had mine put in in December too. I was breastfeeding then. Had no problems so far. No periods, no spotting, no other side effects I could link to the implant.
I stopped breastfeeding in April.
I would not recommend it as it's a personal choice. I decided to have it for the convenience of not having to worry about protection. Coils scare me a bit and frequent injections did not appeal to me also.

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Tue 25-Aug-09 09:49:01

I think you wither love it or hate it.
I hated mine felt bloated, tired, no sex drive (that'll be why it's such good contraception then) was constantly spotting.
I was retaining so much water. Within 4 days of having it out my weight dropped 6lbs.

Until I got it out I never actually realised quite how rotten I felt on it.

Narketta getting it out was fine, a bit of tugging but the give you a local first so it is really numb.
They did it in the treatment room at my surgery because only certain dr's take it out but was no bother and certainly not painful. Arm was a bit sore lter on when the stuff wore off. I was also told there might be a bit more bruising thatn when they put it in (I had heaps when they put it in) but I had absolutely none at all. The nurse put a tight bandage around it to help avoid that.

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Tue 25-Aug-09 09:50:05

ACtually purpleflower sums it up I felt pregnant. Just the way I do in the early days of pregnancy.

MegSophandEmma Tue 25-Aug-09 09:54:42

I had one in for 4 months after having DD3 and OMG it was a nightmare!! I have always (apart from being pregnant) tiny in size, but around three months after having it in I was a balloon. I bled heavily every other day for the whole time I had it in too and my moods swung from elation to severe black continuosly (sp) also.

People I know who have had Implanon in have also suffered horrendously with it.

Phoenix Tue 25-Aug-09 09:56:07

I guess it's trial and error with these contraception things then. I was thinking about Mirena but was put off that by all the horror side effects some people have so looked into Implanon and it seems that's the same hmm

I still like the idea of Implanon as it doesn't involve rummaging around down below

Maybe the pill is just easier hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now