Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What method of contraception do you use and do you recommend it?

(11 Posts)
Phoenix Mon 24-Aug-09 18:07:18

I just had my 6wk post natal check today and i need to think about another form of contraception rather than just not having sex

I don't think we want anymore DC's but i don't want to make it a permanent iykwim.

I have PCOS and irregular periods if that makes a difference to anything.

luckylady74 Mon 24-Aug-09 18:15:00

I am on my 3rd mirena coil. My dr initially advised it as she has one! It has put my severe endemetreosis on hold - I don't have periods anymore and I don't have to think about contraception for 5yrs.
I've never had any side effects other than spotting for a few weeks after insertion-which is uncomfortable, but I wouldn't call it awful.
However, lots of women on here have reported side effects - my dr said it's the same as taking one mini pill a week I think. So it's clearly not for everyone.
Condoms always seem the most straight forward to me.

TheOnlyDailyMaleForMeisDH Mon 24-Aug-09 18:16:30

Separate bedrooms and not speaking to each other is working quite well over here hmm

MuppetsMuggle Mon 24-Aug-09 18:22:07

I'm on copper coil adn thinks its fab, don't have to think about contraception for 5yrs. Have periods but they are not heavy and no cramping grin

DP uses condoms most of the time too.

HecatesTwopenceworth Mon 24-Aug-09 18:23:44

Same here, TODM. Abstinence has had a 100% success rate here for the last 9 years! <sigh>

TheProfiteroleThief Mon 24-Aug-09 18:25:21

am too old for pill
not got around to booking vasectomy
don't like idea of iuds of any kind
so we are using condoms like 16yos - but I know how they work and I like that

BrewRequired Mon 24-Aug-09 18:25:32

I'm on cerazette which I know can cause a lot of difficulties but personally it has worked out ok so far.I did have a 27 day period at first and my moods were all over the place- in fact I was ridiculous! I have also gained weight but this was all in the first 3 months. Now I have no periods at all and my moods are the same as they used to be (still ridiculous)... I am still 6lbs overweight but I have lost 8lbs recently, so on the right track.

wuglet Mon 24-Aug-09 18:30:32

Implanon

No periods

Forget about it for 3 years

preg within 6 weeks of taking it out x2

(not like this for everyone but I am a huge fan)

Phoenix Mon 24-Aug-09 18:45:28

The GP mentioned Implanon. Does it hurt when it is put in/taken out? I don't have many periods anyway but no periods sounds appealing

wuglet Mon 24-Aug-09 19:46:28

you have a local anaesthetic - so slight sting of that going in is all

a good percentage of people will stop periods straight away

some will have unpredicatble bleeding for a time (few weeks - few months) afterwards but this can be controlled if needed by adding in the pill on top for a bit.

Phoenix Mon 24-Aug-09 20:18:55

Implanon sounds good then.

Anyone got anymore to recommend?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now