Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is the dentist right???

(6 Posts)
MrsSnoops Mon 24-Aug-09 16:50:02

hi, I was wondering if there are any dentists out there who can answer this question for me.
My 3yo DS has a blanket at bedtime that he sucks. It is pretty disgusting, but it provides comfort. He has it in all night.
Recently I have noticed he has an overbite. Nothing hugely surprising as I had one and had braces as a child.
I took DS to the dentist for the first time last week and she asked if he was a thumb sucker and I said no he was a blanket sucker and she said I need to get rid of it.
Is she right. Will the blanket cause an overbite or not?
I don't want to get rid of it unnecessarily, but at the same time really don't want to cause problems with his teeth.
Many Thanks

DesperateHousewifeToo Mon 24-Aug-09 19:09:11

I'm not a dentist.

Probably depends on how much he stuffs into his mouthsmile

I'd tend to believe the dentist, though, if she/he spotted it without you saying anything.

TheOnlyDailyMaleForMeisDH Mon 24-Aug-09 19:15:23

I'm not a dentist either but I've seen blanket inflicted overbites before in relatives.

One strategy: Cut the blanket into long strips - he can still bite it but it won't be as comforting. Make the strips into a scarf for a 'very cold' teddy. Hopefully he will cuddle the teddy and get comfort, then teddy can lose the scarf eventually.

cornsillk Mon 24-Aug-09 19:16:51

My ds has an overbite and was a blanket sucker - wish I'd known that. sad

discombobulate Mon 24-Aug-09 19:52:56

Hi

I'm a dentist, and yes your dentist is right. All sorts of things can cause this but a common one is thumb or finger sucking and indeed blanket sucking. If he stops whilst he is young before his adult teeth come through there is a good chance it will sort itself out.

Hope you have some success in persuading him to give it up.

MrsSnoops Mon 24-Aug-09 21:43:48

Thanks everyone for the replies.
If it will cause an overbite I will continue with getting him to give it up. We actually persuaded him to give it up a few days ago and he has been fine, but he had a few tears today and I felt really guilty. But now I know we are doing the right thing I shall keep on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now