Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

bald patches!

(8 Posts)
SaucyMoo Mon 24-Aug-09 15:35:11

Ive discovered small bald patches on my scalp size of a 5p coin, to begin with there was 1 and over a week i have got 5! I know its a form of alapecia for which there doesnt seem to be much treatment. I spoke to a relative who is a doctor and dietician and shes going to give me some super strength hair, nail, skin formula vitamins and some herbal oil and tincture.
was wondering if anyone has been through the same thing and can offer some advice?

Andrea157 Mon 24-Aug-09 16:53:14

Hi SaucyMoo,

I'm also losing my hair too I posted a message a few days ago "Losing Hair after pregnancy" - I received some good advice from some of the folks on here. My symptoms aren't quite the same as yours though - my hair is coming out in clumps and strands (roughly about 150 - 200 hairs + per day), I've gone bare at my temples and now also have a receding hair line Are you breastfeeding at present? If so do not take hair, skin and nails vitamins as these contain some multi vitamins this is harmful to the baby when breastfeeding - if your not, then it's okay to take them. I spoke to the pharmisist today and he reckons rubbing in rosemary essential oils into the scalp or use it with your normal shampoo. If in any doubt speak to your GP, that's where I'm off to this coming Wednesday!!

Hope this helps a little and I hope your hair returns to normal very soon.

Kindest regards,
Andrea157

BoysAreLikeDogs Mon 24-Aug-09 16:59:07

article in The Times today

HTH

ohjustgrowup Mon 24-Aug-09 17:01:29

I had alopecia in quite a major way a few years ago - one very large completely round bald patch on the back of my head.

I was told there was nothing that would help it, so I sort of had an attractive comb-over ponytail for a while.

It did grow back after about 6 months - but very slowly and white and fluffy to begin with.

I have since lost another little patch in a similar place. Stress seems to bring it on..

It's not advice, as such, because I didn't do anything about it. it's just saying that you are not alone and if mine grew back, yours might too.

MrsDinky Mon 24-Aug-09 19:26:28

There have been a few threads on here about hair loss the last few months, there are a few of us here with similar things. I have lost hair in about 10 places in the last 6 months or so, mostly underneath longer hair luckily, but it has been pretty horrible. I started with a patch about the size of a golf ball, this has spread and been joined by about 10 other patches in various places. I cried my eyes out regularly for the first few weeks but am coping better now. I went to my GP who was sympathetic but wouldn't refer me to a dermatologist on the NHS, so I went privately to a consultant dermatologist who prescribed asteroid gel which I have been using for about 2.5 months. I am still losing hair, but not as much, and in some places it is starting to come back. The derm also agreed I could continue to see him on the NHS, and get an NHS wig. I have not needed the wig, but I have to say it is pretty impressive.
I have managed by letting my remaining hair grow, using volumising shampoo, pinning hair over the patches and also by using some miraculous cover cream called Couvre, which matches your hair colour and you dab onto the bare patches to camouflage them. This has boosted my confidence a lot.
The unfortunate thing about alopecia is that it is totally unpredictable. Whatever happens it is pretty grim, and I really feel for you. It is very likely to grow back, it does for most people, but it may take a while (maybe 6mo to a year). Fingers crossed for you.

SaucyMoo Tue 25-Aug-09 11:18:59

thanks everyone for your input, i dont think this is pregnancy related as my kids are 1 and 3. gonna go GP this week, will let you know how i get on!

MrsDinky Tue 25-Aug-09 18:58:57

Good luck. My kids are 3 and 5 so def not pregnancy related either. I'm almost certain mine was triggered by stress.

SaucyMoo Fri 28-Aug-09 16:31:42

hey i went to the GP and she sent me for a blood test to check my iron, B complex vitamin level and thyroid just incase there isnt anything underlying..but it is def alapecia, not ringworm or anything.
I saw a nutritionist whos a relative, shes given me some vitamins and Fo-ti oil which is a herbal oil...ill let you guys know if it works..have to put it on twice a day on the bald patches for 3-6 months!! how annoying but willing to try it if it may work...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now