Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sterilisation how old?

(5 Posts)
Kathrina Mon 24-Aug-09 14:17:43

How old do you have to be to be sterilised? I am 29 have 3 children 2 girls and a boy and i do not want anymore children. I have been to see my GP and nurse who both basically laughed and told me i had to be at least 30!

My friend who is 28 and has 2 boys has just had her appointment through for sterilisation she has the same GP as me. I am feeling a little annoyed.

My Mirena coil came away in May this yr and try as i might i cannot get another one fitted til Sep due to the fact i am too old for most of the FPC in my area they only seem to cater for the under 25's.

Milliways Mon 24-Aug-09 16:10:21

I asked at age 29 (just after DS was born) and was told to wait at least a year after the birth for hormones to settle etc. Not sure if they had an age 30 limit in place.

I actually waited until DS was 4, so I was 33,and I was ONE of the younger Mums in that weekend, although one was only mid 20's but had had a child a year since she was 16 so they let her!

They did make both DH & I go for counselling beforehand though.

Kathrina Mon 24-Aug-09 16:34:27

I was 16, 22 and 25 when i had my children. I cant understand why my friend has been referred as she was 22 and 25 when she had her boys. And in the future she may want another child. I am 30 nxt June so not long off i have even asked if i can come back after Christmas to be put on the waiting list but again told NO.

leisurely Mon 24-Aug-09 20:15:01

Obviously I am in a different situation to you. I was 37 when I had my one and only child. She was conceived and born in the middle east. I had experienced many (>8 miscarriages) before she arrived. Once I knew I was having a caesarian, I asked my ob if she would tie my tubes too. she was such a lovely woman she hummed and hawwed and essentially, she implied, that should girl die at or soon afer birth I'd want to have another. Nothing could have been further from the truth, obviously now I adore her, but my pregnacy was such shite I wouldn't wish it on anyone. So, I was told, not to consider it until at least six months post partum. Huge disappointment, I dont' want anymore children and I certainly don't want to be pregnant again. To cut a long and dull and frankly, off topic story short, eight years later I am still waiting to be sterilised.

lukeysmummy Sun 30-Aug-09 22:11:40

hi i was done at 25 i also have 3 kids

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now