Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lumps on back - cancer? not?

(9 Posts)
MrsMattie Mon 24-Aug-09 13:02:05

My dad is staying with us at the moment and last night I noticed a lump about the size of a small plum on his shoulder blade. It is hard - as hard as bone - and doesn't move when you press it. He says he has had it ever since he hurt his shoulder in a car accident 6 years ago. Fine - must be some sort of damaged cartillage. But then he says he has another lump. This one is in the middle of his back, right against the side of his spine. It's as big as a golf ball and not as hard as the other one. He thinks he's had it for a couple of years. My sister, who's a physio and gave him a massage at Christmas because he had back pain (his work involves heavy manual labour) says she didn't notice either of these lumps then and is suspicious of his story.

I've made a private appt with a doctor for Weds morning. I'm terrified to be honest, although I'm not letting on to him.

Does anyone have any idea if this could be anything other than some sort of tumour? sad

MrsMattie Mon 24-Aug-09 13:03:59

I should add - my dad is notoriously bad at looking after his health. Me and my sister always have to force him to make doctor's appts and get things checked out. He hates doctors.

BonsoirAnna Mon 24-Aug-09 13:12:02

My FOL had a large lump removed from his upper back a couple of years ago - it definitely wasn't cancerous, it was fluid filled, and was some kind of genetically influenced condition. I will try to remember what it was called so that you can have a google.

Heated Mon 24-Aug-09 13:17:54

My father has a few like this on his back - completely benign. One was lanced at the doctors and was full of puss [boak] Get him in with the GP.

Heated Mon 24-Aug-09 13:18:44

or even pus! lol

nightcat Mon 24-Aug-09 13:46:24

I had a fatty lump (lipoma) removed many years ago from the top of the shoulder, then I was told by a dr that some people get hundreds of them, usually on the back, they are not cancerous at all. Mine moved only slightly, I was worried too, but turned out completely fine and haven't had any since. So, don't panic!

deleting Tue 25-Aug-09 12:39:47

dp has one of these too, just fluid filled as well, but he should go and check his obviously.

littlerach Tue 25-Aug-09 12:56:09

DH had a fatty lump removed 2 yrs ago, in the same place, against his spine.

he waited 4 yrs before he saw GP about it.

MrsMattie Wed 26-Aug-09 20:34:37

Thanks for all your advice, ladies.

Saw a private doc today (£120 effing quid - Christ, these Consultants must be rich - but so worth every penny). The lumps are indeed 'classic lipoma'. Phew.

Thanks again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now