Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pelvic Pain

(18 Posts)
Kathrina Sun 23-Aug-09 15:06:09

Hello i am new an would like some advice. In May of this yr my Mirena coil came away nearly 3 yrs after it was fitted. I have to wait until Sep to get another one fitted. This time i am having the IUD instead. When my coil came away i was never examined or given a reason for the expulsion of the coil only told it is very rare after having in so long and shouldnt happen at all. Not long after i had a urine infection which i was treated with anti-biotics.

I have the same symptons back again pain in my pelvic area, in my right thigh and my lower right back. I went to see the nurse who checked my urine and it was all clear. It was sent off to the lab for further investigation again all clear she made me feel i had wasted her time. She didnt bother to examine me or advise i see my GP.

I am currently on the mini-pill due to the long wait for the coil fitting. I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on what the problem may be. Thanks

tribpot Sun 23-Aug-09 15:15:19

I would definitely go and see your GP if I were you. Sorry to hear the nurse was so dismissive.

cocolepew Sun 23-Aug-09 15:19:31

It maybe a tilted womb, my tilts back and to the right causing pain on the right hand side, it can get worse before periods because it beomes it gets bigger. I'd get it checked out though.

Kathrina Sun 23-Aug-09 15:21:02

Thank you very much i will see if i can get an appointment this week to see my GP.

Kathrina Sun 23-Aug-09 15:22:35

I am not having periods at tbe moment due to being on the mini-pill i wonder if this could be the problem also i am getting an aching pain in my right calf as well. Sorry about this.

cocolepew Sun 23-Aug-09 15:38:38

Don't apologise smile keep a close eye on your calf if it gets bigger go to hospital.

I hope that doesn't sound too ott hmm.

Kathrina Sun 23-Aug-09 15:55:50

Not at all thank you again you have all been a great help

tribpot Tue 25-Aug-09 20:44:59

Kathrina, have you seen a GP now?

Kathrina Tue 25-Aug-09 23:22:18

Hello i have been to my GP no examination just said i had pulled a muscle and to take painkillers. angry

Highlander Wed 26-Aug-09 11:34:36

sorry to be alarmist - but pelvic/lower abdo pain is a marker for ovarian cancer, and frequently missed by GPs.

press strongly for a gynae referral. At the very least you should have an ultrasound and a blood test for the ovarian cancer marker.

On a more positive note, you might just have cystic ovaries, or ovulation pain, but you still need a good work-up.

cocolepew Wed 26-Aug-09 16:04:27

Go back to your GP and ask, no demand, for a gynae referral. How can s/he possible know it's a pulled muscle without examining you?

Kathrina Thu 27-Aug-09 08:57:37

I have got another app with a different GP on Tues. The problem is we have no female GP's. Hopefully this one may be able to help as i have had this pain over a week now and if it was muscular surely it would start to go now but the pain is still there. Fingers crossed i will get sorted and i will let you know how i get on smile

tribpot Fri 28-Aug-09 19:55:38

I would be considering moving practice if I were you, Kathrina (and it's practical). If not I would be writing to my PCT to ask why they aren't providing a reasonable service. There's no real reason why it should be necessary to see a female GP about such things although I will say I recently asked to see a female GP at my practice and she was so lovely I nearly said "cancel your hen weekend this weekend, I want to marry you" grin

I share Highlander's concern although I'm sure you don't have ovarian cancer but for feck's sake, they are meant to take symptoms like this seriously for precisely this reason. My GP reassured me it was the right thing to do to present for assessment, did a pelvic exam and swabs and asked me to come back if symptoms not cleared up in a month. And I had a known condition at the time that this was quite possibly a side-effect of.

You almost certainly need a gynae referral. If you are out of luck this time around, is Bupa an option?

Kathrina Fri 28-Aug-09 20:25:54

Thank you so much i am now concerned about the pain i have in my leg it is burning and my thigh hurts at the back (still have the pelvic pain) my toes are numb as well have called NHS direct and they said it is a side effect from some slimming tablets i have been prescribed??? i must be speaking another language or something angry

rocketupbum Fri 28-Aug-09 20:30:16

Maybe the pain is coming from your back? The pain in the leg/numbness in foot are often signs of nerve probs from lower back. Either way you need to spk with GP again and don't let them palm you off with "muscle strain!"

cocolepew Thu 03-Sep-09 18:12:24

How did you get on?

Kathrina Fri 04-Sep-09 16:07:35

Hello i was examined and i have sciatica! told to rest and take painkillers as and when i have also signed up to a new docs surgery gotta wait to see if been accepted thanks for your help and caring smile

cocolepew Fri 04-Sep-09 17:42:44

Ooohh sore! Glad you've got a diagnosis. Hope you feel better soon smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now