Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is it easy to strap up a wrist and can you do it yourself?

(21 Posts)
FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 21-Aug-09 17:05:56

?

dizzymare Fri 21-Aug-09 17:07:10

What have you done?

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 21-Aug-09 17:18:26

My arm has been weak since I had my youngest and this latest pain is from my long drive yesterday. I drove for 3 hours and then 3 hours home. I can't lift some things and it is really painful.

dizzymare Fri 21-Aug-09 17:21:04

It sounds like you need one of those proper wrist support things, you can get them in most pharmacys. You do need to rest it completely, but that's not very practical really is ithmm

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 21-Aug-09 17:22:52

I have one from when I went to A&E but it really doesn't help and I can't do a thing.

dizzymare Fri 21-Aug-09 17:31:01

Erm, I don't know then, but bumping for yougrin

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 22-Aug-09 08:59:05

Looks like another A&E visit.

theyoungvisiter Sat 22-Aug-09 09:02:44

you would probably be better off going to your GP as s/he's more likely to give you long term advice and monitor the situation.

You might get a referral to get it looked at as well.

SoupDragon Sat 22-Aug-09 09:03:33

I think it's more a GP visit than A&E.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 22-Aug-09 12:52:01

I was only thinking A&E as the surgery is shut today.

DH has strapped it up for now.

I think my muscles are just weak so I doubt there is anything that can be done.

theyoungvisiter Sat 22-Aug-09 15:39:18

Seriously, go and see your GP. I don't think a long drive should affect your muscles to that extent, it sounds more like some kind of repetitive strain injury or carpal tunnel (not that I'm an expert).

They may be able to recommend ways to stop it recurring - there's no point in just sitting there waiting for it to go again.

mosschops30 Sat 22-Aug-09 15:42:55

FBG, there is no medical evidence to 'support' the strapping up of things IIRC. During my training I was told that they give people tubigrip in A&E to make them feel better, in a placebo effect type of way IYKWIM

I would see your GP and ask for a referral for physio or something similar (I had reiki on my tennis elbow and its never returned)

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 22-Aug-09 18:52:43

I asked my GP about carpal whatsit and he laughed at me.

I have a long drive to do on Tuesday too.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 23-Aug-09 09:31:20

Just spoke to on call doctor. He said it sounds like muscle strain and to rest it in warm water and take paracetamol. DH reminded me I drove 2 hours the other week and I was fine so he doesn't think it was the drive on Thursday. I think I might cry as there are so many things I need to do and it hurts.

ABetaDad Sun 23-Aug-09 09:41:53

Both me and DW had pain in the wrist and top of the thumb after DS1. He was very heavy and picking him up caused a sort of RSI or carpal tunnel syndrome.

I suggest you get an elasticated wrist support bandage from a chemist or a sports shop. It will need to be fairly tight BUT do not wear it 24 hours a day takeit off for a while.

Sounds like you have the same conditon as me and DW had. Gripping the steering wheel will have been enough to exacerbate it. Your GP was wrong.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 23-Aug-09 09:56:40

Just pegged out the washing and gripping to pick up the pegs really hurt. Like a sharp instant pain.

cheshirekitty Sun 23-Aug-09 16:12:57

FBG - can you use ibuprofen with your paracetamol?

I would rest up your wrist for the rest of the day, and probably keep it elevated/supported on a pillow.

I would def make an appointment to see your gp. It sounds like a recurring injury and you need to get it sorted out.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 23-Aug-09 16:15:33

The pain comes and go.

Never taken anti inflammatories before but might have to consider it.

Need to book appointments for DD and DS2 so might as well make it a family affair.

I just want it to stop hurting as I am desperate to see my friend on Tuesday and that is a four hour drive there.

cheshirekitty Sun 23-Aug-09 16:18:41

You should not take anti-inflamm if you are asthmatic. (Just checking).

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 23-Aug-09 16:19:57

Exactly which is why I never have but I am desperate.sad

cheshirekitty Sun 23-Aug-09 16:25:17

Use warm/cold packs on your wrist. Maybe some deepheat?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now