Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Natural Contraception

(8 Posts)
Pomi Sat 28-May-05 14:34:55

It has been six months after having a baby and have not decided the method of contraception. I was going to have my coil fitted when I read a thread about the horrible effects of it. I
cannot take pills because of a history of breast canncer in my family. I read a method of natural contraception which you have to learn but I do not know how it works. Has anyone ever tried this method? How good is it?

Chandra Sat 28-May-05 14:40:36

It may be the rhythm method, basically you count the days to know which days to avoid, but TBH you need to be pefectly regular in your periosds (though my mother was and the three of us are results of its inaccuracy.

There's another one based in the observation of vaginal discharges (euuk! but aparently much more exact). A friend of mine who had cancer (and is highly religious, I have to say...) was using it on recommendation of her doctor.

tribpot Sat 28-May-05 14:43:16

Pomi, a friend of mine has been learning recently about Natural Family Planning but she's not been practising it very long so I couldn't tell you how reliable it is for avoiding pregnancy!

Portree Sun 29-May-05 20:18:31

You could try FAM (Fertility Awareness Method). This is where you take your temp every am before getting up, observe cervical mucous (it's like eggwhite when fertile) and observe cervical position. Very empowering when you know what your body is doing. There are lots of 'rules' when it is used to prevent pregnancy.

Toni Weschler (sp?) has a great book called Taking Charge of Your Fertility. Also great website too .

bandbsmum Wed 01-Jun-05 10:25:06

You could try the Persona. You can buy it in Boots, it's not cheap though and you have to buy the testing sticks each month which are about £10. Your periods have to be bet. 23-35 regularly. It involves weeing on a testing stick on certain days of the month then putting the sticks into the persona and it gives you red and green days, but working out when you're ovulating. HTH

AnnieQ Wed 01-Jun-05 10:28:35

Three of the women at my ante-natal class were there because they had used Persona and it had failed.

Listmaker Wed 01-Jun-05 10:31:09

My dd1 is also a Persona baby!!!!

The coil was fine for me though and lots of my friends are happy with it. Might be worth a go?

bandbsmum Wed 01-Jun-05 10:48:34

I'm working on trying to get my dh to have the snip!! He's not keen though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now