Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pregnant with a horrible cold - what can I take ?

(8 Posts)
Tillyscoutsmum Thu 20-Aug-09 12:38:42

I haven't really got the energy to walk to the pharmacy to ask [feeling sorry for myself emoticon]

I've got a really nasty head cold - very congested, sore throat, swollen glands with ear ache/neck ache/tooth ache/head ache.

I've been taking paracetamol but its not really doing much. I am 23 weeks pg. Any good "natural" remedies ? Or anything I can get DH to pick up from pharmacy on the way home (mainly for congestion)

Thanks

Tillyscoutsmum Thu 20-Aug-09 13:29:00

Pathetic bump

Plonketyplonk Thu 20-Aug-09 20:01:07

Lemon and honey might help. You may be able to use a bit of olbas oil for congestion, or even holding your head over a bowl of hot water can ease it a bit.

NotEvenTheTrees Thu 20-Aug-09 20:02:42

Aww. It's horrid.

Paracetamol. Steam. Sleep.

lilymolly Thu 20-Aug-09 20:05:06

I had exactly the same thing at xmas and was told not to take anything for decongestion....especially psudoephrine or the like (sudafed)

I took great big gulps of medised grin

It eased my congestion and helped me sleep.

Not sure its 100% safe but ds is now 20 weeks and thriving smile

MrsJamin Thu 20-Aug-09 20:29:59

Lemon, honey and ginger with hot water, and if you don't mind a little alcohol, a bit of whisky!

Andrea157 Thu 20-Aug-09 21:40:40

Hi,

Whilst pregnant with my daughter I continually had colds (6 in all I think) I was told the only thing I could take (that was safe) was paracetemol, honey and lemon or Halls Soothers. I was told by my midwife DO NOT take things like Strepsils or Ibubrofen!!

Try and rest as much as possible with a hot water bottle, also if your decongested try sitting in the shower room with the door closed and shower on full whack to create lots of steam, which I found helpful. Try and drink as much fluid as possible - replaces all the fluid you loose due to mucus / blowing your nose etc.

Hope this is helpful and I hope your feeling better soon.

Tillyscoutsmum Fri 21-Aug-09 08:07:34

Thanks all. I think I might make an appointment at the GP - I've now got big white ulcers on my throat/tonsils so not sure if its some kind of throat infection. I don't even know whether they will prescribe anti b's ??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now