Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ruptured Cysts on ovaries

(4 Posts)
cookiemonster100 Wed 19-Aug-09 21:29:45

Ok history - long periods, heavy in the middle (which is painful and uncomfortable). After months of pestering my GP I got to have a scan
which showed that I have multiple cysts on both my ovaries. I then got referred to a gynecologists (waited 2 months for appt!).

So when i went for my appointment the doctor has recommended that I come back in 4 months for another scan to see if they will go (the cysts are all under 5 cm)

My question - when do you know if you have a ruptured cyst? I have had 2 incidents where I have had intense pain which feels like it is in my ovary. I had one mid cycle and one during AF.

The one mid cycle was prior to my appt with doc and he did not seem that bothered (apparently it shows that I am ovulating hmm

The one during AF was today and phoned GP. He recommended me to monitor it for 24 hours. I have taken painkillers for the moment.

Both incidents were approx a few hours too.

Thanks!

fledtoscotland Wed 19-Aug-09 23:30:37

it is a few years since I worked in the surgical wards but I remember that when we had patients admitted with a suspected ruptured cyst they were very (and i mean very) unwell. unable to get a breath with the pain, being sick, raging temperature, pale, sweaty. It was emergency surgery.

Am not saying that you arent in pain but if you are able to type, then I would hesitate to suggest that the cyst has ruptured. As your GP says, see how you go in the next 24hrs. Hopefully the painkillers will work for you.

my own personal experience of cysts is a bit different. I have multiple cysts on my remaining ovary. they are chocolate cysts caused by the ovary bleeding every time i ovulate. I do get quite intense pain for an hour or so each ovulation but it passes quickly. about 3 yrs ago I had a 9cm cyst removed due to extreme pain. I was literally double up unable to walk/talk/eat and then it would pass like a wave. The times without pain were getting less and less and i had an emergency hospital admission. In theatre they found that the cyst was on a "stem" that was twisting and untwisting - hence the pain. Before the surgery, I was on a morphine infusion to control the pain.

HTH and that you feel better soon.

DidEinsteinsMum Wed 19-Aug-09 23:53:23

I had a bad cyst on ovary and ended up having surgery (fairly emergency when they stopped arguing about appendicitis or cyst and operated for appendicitis but removed cysts)
My pain was so bad i physically could stand, eat, or anything. Like about my problem was that the cyst was twisting and un-twisting and it was pretty huge when i had surgery. although mine got stuck twisted rather the ruptured. The pain was constant, very constant, there were just waves of badness.
If you are no better tomo ring doc back.

DidEinsteinsMum Wed 19-Aug-09 23:53:46

meant to say hope you feel better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now