Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone had a steroid injection in their hip ?

(7 Posts)
Airliebird Wed 19-Aug-09 20:17:14

I have recently been told i have bursitis (sp?) in my hip and will need an injection in it.

Just wondering what this entails / does it hurt etc ?

Thanks

ABetaDad Wed 19-Aug-09 20:23:15

My Dad had a steroid injection in his shoulder joint - extremely panful and could hardly drive his car home afterwards.

Everyone he spoke to afterwards confirmed it does really hurt a lot.

Airliebird Wed 19-Aug-09 20:24:35

Thanks for the reply

did it ease the pain at all

ABetaDad Wed 19-Aug-09 20:31:03

Yes but it took a few days to kick in and he never ever wants to have it done again.

broguemum Wed 19-Aug-09 20:44:07

I had one in my hip a couple of months ago. It was not too painful - kind of like a wasp sting. It ached a bit afterwards and I had to take it easy and then had 14 sessions of physio for a related problem. Actually the most painful bit was when the quack mapped out the painful area by poking me and drawing all over me with red pen!

HTH.

Airliebird Wed 19-Aug-09 20:51:03

thanks brouguemum that makes me feel slightly better about the whole thing !

I also have a needle phobia which isn't helping

TheHappyCat Wed 19-Aug-09 21:08:04

I had various steroid injections including in my sacroiliac joint (spine/pelvis). I had reactive arthritis and I was in agony when I tried to walk, but the injection itself was like any other and by the time I got home from the hospital about 2hr later, I was already feeling much better in that joint.
I would not say it hurt that much at all, but I was in a lot of pain beforehand - although injections in small joints (smaller toes) are an absolute killer and another thing entirely!!
Good luck, sure it will really help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now