Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Head lice homemade remedies please

(16 Posts)
FlyMeToDunoon Wed 19-Aug-09 14:02:53

I am still trying to eradicate the buggers from DD1 since they were discovered at the beginning of the summer holidays.
We have combed.
We have Hedrinned twice [the whole family]
I went to Boots today and just thought No I am not spending £11 again!
So I spent £3.91 on tea tree oil and thought I would mix it with sunflower oil and smother them with that.
Will it work?
Any other things [cheap] to try?

We already use the tea tree shampoo and conditioner.

LynetteScavo Wed 19-Aug-09 17:21:59

You need to get rid of the nits...I prsume you've got rid of the lice by combing.

Just sit and pick all of the nits out by hand. It will take hours.

TaxiLady Wed 19-Aug-09 17:25:49

mayo and white wine vinegar ...mix it to a slurry and daub it on for a couple of hours

never tried it, suddenly my lot seemed to out grow nits....teatree oil and constant combing seemed to work best up till then

OmicronPersei8 Wed 19-Aug-09 17:31:16

Comb every day for at least 2 weeks - it breaks the egg-laying cycle.

TheCrackFox Wed 19-Aug-09 17:37:36

Combing everyday, 20 minutes each, with conditioner worked for us.

heronsfly Wed 19-Aug-09 17:41:53

A nitty gritty comb,and cheap conditioner is the only thing that worked for us.

LynetteScavo Wed 19-Aug-09 17:43:59

I combed twice a day for two weeks (it was school holidays, so we had time)and picked out nit in the sun. After two weeks they were all gone, but I was determined.

Overmydeadbody Wed 19-Aug-09 18:08:16

You need three things:

a nit comb

cheap conditioner

tea tree oil

Condition and comb her hair every day, every time she has a bath etc just do it.

Then, put a drop of tea tree oil behind each ear every day. The smell should keep the buggers away.

FritesMenthe Wed 19-Aug-09 18:10:52

Spray bottle filled with water and a few drops of tea tree oil. Spray it on every day.
And comb, comb comb. Dip the comb in a glass of water so you can see them drown!

FlyMeToDunoon Wed 19-Aug-09 18:28:11

Ok thanks for all the replies.
I am presuming that if I dab tea tree oil it should be diluted.
I have combed but guess it just has to be for longer. Sigh
Will set myself to a regime of washing combing but would my tea tree/sunflower oil mix slathered on overnight smother them?

ByTheSea Wed 19-Aug-09 18:30:55

I highly recommend wet combing conditioned hair with a nitty gritty comb. Use tea-tree shampoo/conditioner to keep the little buggers away.

snorkle Wed 19-Aug-09 19:06:42

I read vaseline was good once, so I smeared it liberally over everyones scalps & massaged it in, left it for an hour or two (can't remember if I tried combing with it in or not) & then found it's extremely difficult to get it out again. After an evening of frantic repeated washing we all had slightly greasy but just about presentable looking hair, but a few days later after the next wash the whole family had the shiniest, silkiest hair ever - & no nits in sight (was combing every day to be sure). That said, I never tried it again - the feeling of panic when I thought we'd all have lank greasy locks for ever more was just too much to repeat..

FlyMeToDunoon Wed 19-Aug-09 22:05:20

grin snorkie

mathanxiety Fri 21-Aug-09 07:00:57

Coconut shampoo and conditioner. Even anything cheap will do. Any product with tea tree oil. You'll just have to do a lot of wetcombing and manual picking. Hope you're also washing every inch of bedding, hoovering mattresses, floors, damp-wiping the hoover inside and out and putting all soft toys in the freezer or sealing them in plastic bags for two weeks. Hoovering needs to be really, really, really thorough.

oliviasmama Fri 21-Aug-09 07:18:51

I got rid of them in 2 doses of masses of conditioner mixed with tea tree oil (as much as poss), combed and left it in overnight.

When I went to the chemist the lady said not to waste money on all the expensive treatments, they really didn't work and that this was the best way.

Give it a go, good luck.

FlyMeToDunoon Fri 21-Aug-09 09:38:43

Well all DDs have now been combed with masses of conditioner in.
All found to have live lice and eggs.
I have combed and found nothing, as usual and as usual I am scratching like mad in neurotic response.
Preparing to wash and comb every two days for the next two weeks before school goes back in the hopes that will sort it.
Of course once two DDs are at school it will be only a matter of time before we start all over again.
Can't believe I have been through this so many times over the years and still run into basic problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now