Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DH very swollen feet and ankles

(7 Posts)
worriedaboutfeet Tue 18-Aug-09 21:49:12

For two weeks now, DH's feet and ankles have been very badly swollen, I beleive it is water retention as when you press the swelling, the mark remains for a few seconds.

It is very, very painful for him to walk, and he can hardly get his shoes on.

He has seen the doctor twice (two different doctors), and both times been sent home with no prescription, just told to rest and wait for it to go down.

Resting does not seem to make a great deal of difference, neither does elevation.

I have googled frantically - it is a symptom of heart failure, liver failure and kidney failure, as well as other nasties. This does not seem to match up with the doctors lack of concern.

DH is early fifties, used to smoke heavily, although given up a few years ago. Probably drinks more than the recommended units.

He will be going back to the doctor if it does not clear up soon - accompanied by me this time, to make sure they don't fob him off - but I wondered if anyone has come across anything like this?

whingingDailyHateMail Tue 18-Aug-09 23:02:12

Is he breathless at all? Or jaundiced or itchy?

I would take him back to GP and if it was my GP I would insist on expect a couple of routine blood tests and examination to check things out. Often it is just positional, but as it's new, and persisting,it merits a bit of investigation.

Don't panic yourself into heart failure by googling, there's lots of innocent expanationswink

jenwyn Tue 18-Aug-09 23:14:07

Maybe a daft question but are you sure he actually saw a doctor? Just that its quite common for men some people to get scared of what they might hear and simply go home with a 'prescription' for rest and paracetamol.
In any event it is wise to go with him as two sets of ears will surely get all the information.
In the meantime support socks can help greatly with the swelling and therefore help the pain.
Oh and try not to google too much -its bad for your health grin

Anonymumandlikeit Tue 18-Aug-09 23:17:48

I would go back to your doctors and demand he is referred on for investigations,tbh.It may be something and nothing but I wouldn't be happy for this to be just left.

DailyMailIsFarFromPerfect Tue 18-Aug-09 23:17:51

Make sure he is drinking plenty of fluids - as dehydration (strangely enough) can actually cause water retention....OTOH water retention can be a sign of heart problems and too much fluid can agravate that.

When I had severely swollen ankles (post natally though) I was very swiftly given kidney and liver function tests.

Anonymumandlikeit Tue 18-Aug-09 23:20:46

Did they take any blood from him?I would askyour gp to at least take his Biochemical profile (Or U+E as sometimes called)

worriedaboutfeet Fri 21-Aug-09 08:23:03

Thanks to all. Back to doctor today to insist on bloods.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now