Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Side effects of coil/IUD?

(11 Posts)
minitrip Tue 18-Aug-09 14:41:37

I have been taking pill on and off since I was 20 and pretty much every type I have taken has given me the side effects of loss of libido, mood swings, irritability and weight gain. I have had 2 vaginal births and have taken minipill after both due to breastfeeding. I gave birth 3 months ago and am again on the pill and I'm getting sick of it. I'm irritable as hell and it is working brilliantly as a contraceptive because I have nil interest in sex or physical contact of any kind. I'm also putting on weight, but this could just be because breastfeeding is making me ravenous.I don't think side effects are just due to having a new baby because I experienced them a lot before I had children.

I'm seriously considering the coil now. But I just want to know, from other people's experience?
a) Are there any side effects like those I mentioned above?
b) Is it easy to remove?
c) After removal does it cause any delay in fertility (in case we want to try for dc3)?

minitrip Tue 18-Aug-09 17:16:24

Bumping because I Just read Mirena thread that appeared just after i posted. Sounds like it can have hideous side effects. Anyone any experience of copper coil?

southeastastra Tue 18-Aug-09 17:17:45

love my copper coil, periods are longer and hurt more but can put up with that.

annoyed i was on the pill for so long

KembleTwins Tue 18-Aug-09 17:21:05

I've got a Mirena coil. I've not experienced any side effects so far (have only had it for 3 months) and am enjoying having hardly any period and having no pain at all.

As far as I know, it's easier to remove than it is to put in, and, according to my GP, there isn't any delay in return of fertility when it's taken out.

I'm a big fan!

HollyBunda Tue 18-Aug-09 17:21:21

I had two significant side effects.

I bled heavily and that eventually led to anemia. I was exhausted.

I could feel it during sex. And it fucking HURT! It ruined my sex life for a year. I was constantly afraid it would get hit and send that horrible electric shock through my body. I would find myself inching away from DH during the act and just not enjoy myself.

It was awful and I will never have one again.
(not that that happens to everyone of course!)

HollyBunda Tue 18-Aug-09 17:22:12

oh , but after I had it removed, I was pregnant within two cycles. Planned that time!

minitrip Tue 18-Aug-09 17:28:56

That sounds unpleasant HoolyBunda but maybe it was badly fitted, or cervix was wrong shape/position?? If I tell GP that I only want it until I am ttc again (if I decidet o!) will she be reluctant to fit one? (ie. does it cost NHS lots of money?)

KembleTwins Tue 18-Aug-09 17:31:36

You shouldn't get that response. I originally went to my GP about painful periods, rather than contraception, and it was recommended straight away (obviously other pain management stuff had been tried (and failed)). No one asked me if I felt my family was complete, and one of the thing the GP told me when she was fitting it was that it was easy to remove and that my fertility should return to normal very quickly.

HollyBunda Tue 18-Aug-09 17:37:30

I think the only reluctance comes when one is not in a monogamous relationship.

It's possible that mine wasn't fitted properly, although there was no mention of that when it was removed.
It could have just been my DH's big cock! :-O

minitrip Tue 18-Aug-09 17:50:52

Lol. Lucky (or unlucky) you :-)

southeastastra Tue 18-Aug-09 18:17:09

grin bunda

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now