Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Do dentists do home visits for terminally ill people?

(10 Posts)
HowlingCow Tue 18-Aug-09 09:48:59

My MIL is very ill with cancer but is still at home with the odd 'holiday' in a hospice. An old bridge she has in her mouth is beginning to give her a lot of pain but she feels unable to make the journey to dentists. They used to do house call type things-do they still do this? Think she's with NHS dentist. Would appreciate any ideas.

ilove Tue 18-Aug-09 09:51:43

erm...ring the dentist and ask???

HowlingCow Tue 18-Aug-09 10:04:38

Yes I know this is an obvious solution. My in-laws though are very quiet, dont-like-to -make-a-fuss types and I'd like to be able to tell them 'this is what dentists do' so don't worry about asking them to do it!

Anonymumandlikeit Tue 18-Aug-09 10:10:20

How is her mouth,howling cow?

I ask this because I do not know if she hs been receiving treatment or not but if she has had any recent chemotherapy/radiotherapy as a palliative measure then it could be that she has some kind of mucousitis or thrush causing the pain.Also some other medications can cause oral problems.Or it could be that with weight loss etc the bridge is too big etc.

I am sure if you ring the dentist and explain the situation they would be able to advise.

HowlingCow Tue 18-Aug-09 10:27:25

Yes think its more the weight loss. Shes had chemo but not recently as its gone past that now. just spoken to her and they're going to ring the dentist today. Thanks for comment.

weegiemum Tue 18-Aug-09 10:30:27

I would ask the dentist, but also ask at the hospice or her palliative care nurse - mouth care is something that those working in terminal care take very seriously as the mouth can be affected by a lot of the treatments as well as by the cancer itself and can be so distressing to the patient.

Hope she can get it sorted.

weegiemum Tue 18-Aug-09 11:24:43

I was just checking with my dh who does a lot of terminal care (as a GP) and he says an NHS dentist should come out, given the circumstances.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Tue 18-Aug-09 11:33:16

i work for an NHS dentist who doesnt ever do home visits but refers to the special needs service in our area, so SOMEONE should come out, you will have to ask them.

cositjustisok Tue 18-Aug-09 18:25:57

My dad was terminally ill with a Brain tumour and he broke his dentures whilst being cared for at home by us and the dentist (lovely chap) did make a home visit to take impressions for new ones and his assistant dental nurse came too. They where very very accomodating and it was all sorted rather quickly. They new he was dying and made him a priority which we where very grateful for. I am not sure if this is the norm in all dental practices though. We could never have got dad to the dentist and they where most sympathetic. hope you get it sorted soon.

HowlingCow Wed 19-Aug-09 20:38:02

Just logged on again and read all the new messages. Thanks so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now