Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

asthma - what's a good reading on the puffometer?

(7 Posts)
DottyDot Mon 17-Aug-09 20:35:49

I've had a virus/flu thing which has left me quite wheezy and for the first time in about 15 years have had to have a blue inhaler. My puffometer (peak flow thingy!) reading at the GP was 400 - is that OK and will it go once I'm better?

I don't like the way the blue inhaler makes me feel when I've taken it - trembly and on edge - but it does ease my breathing temporarily.

SenoraPostrophe Mon 17-Aug-09 20:39:32

a good reading depends on you - I have a friend who is asthmatic, but her normal readings are way higher than most non-asthmatics because she's very fit. when she has a bad asthma episode, her readings go down to what mine (non asthmatic) are normally

DottyDot Mon 17-Aug-09 20:45:06

Ah - OK. I don't know what my usual reading would be as I've not been asthma-y for so long. I hate this feeling of panicky shallow breathing 'cos I can't breathe deeply - just want it to go! smile

Sidge Mon 17-Aug-09 20:57:15

Peak flow depends on your age, sex, height and weight as well as other variables such as fitness, lung capacity, whether you smoke etc.

400 might be fine for you but without knowing your 'normal' it's hard to gauge whether it's good or bad.

It might be worth measuring your peak flow when you're better - get the best of 3 over a few days and see what you average.

Salbutamol can make you feel a bit trembly and give you palpitations but it will pass. Maybe try some deep breathing and relaxation exercises as well if you are able to do them.

Hope you feel better soon smile

DottyDot Mon 17-Aug-09 21:59:58

Thanks Sidge! smile

mumonthenet Mon 17-Aug-09 22:11:31

dotty, just a thought -

Have you tried having one puff,(to relax the airways) and then another five mins later - which you can usually inhale more deeply thus getting a more effective dose? iyswim!

This works with dd, and might be better than lots of little doses - which you can't inhale very deeply and give you the shakes!

Hope you feel better soon.

DottyDot Tue 18-Aug-09 11:04:00

ooh - thanks - will give it a go! Slept through last night for the first time in the last 10 days so maybe it's working - hurrah! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now