Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

what happens if I have a chest infection and I dont get it treated?

(11 Posts)
spookycharlotte121 Mon 17-Aug-09 18:46:04

Got a nasty cough at the moment. Have had it nearly 2 weeks and its not shifting. Problem is the earlyest I can get to the drs is next mon/tues as I have so much going on at the moment.

If it is a chest infection what will happen if i dont get treatment untill then?

Roomfor2 Mon 17-Aug-09 18:57:54

Have you tried chesty cough mix from the chemist? They can really help shift it, or at least keep things moving, IYKWIM.

Probably nothing drastic will happen if you've already had it for 2 weeks, but make sure you do go to the Drs as it can (I believe) develop into pneumonia if not treated.

Go see the chemist and ask their advice in the meantime, and if you have some olbas oil or similar in, put it in boiling water and breathe it in with a towel over your head. Works for me. It won't cure the infection, because you will need antibiotics for that, but it will hopefully stop it from sticking on your chest too much.

Feel better smile

LIZS Mon 17-Aug-09 18:58:19

Worst that can happen is it get worse and you get a temperature, wheezing and pain requring an emergency appointment, if it is viral you may well start to feel better by then. dc and I recently had one which took over 3 weeks.

waitingforbedtime Mon 17-Aug-09 19:01:25

In my extensive experience of chest infections a cough does not a chest infection make When I have a chest infection I feel like my chest is on fire, I cannot breathe, move, eat or do anything, sometimes cough up blood and cannot stop coughing day or night.

If you dont feel that bad then I guess unfortunately you'll have to grin and bear it. If you start feeling much worse then I would try and get an emergency appointment as like pp said it can turn into pneumonia and also even just a bad chest infection can lay you low for weeks.

Get well soon!

juuule Mon 17-Aug-09 19:01:41

It will probably clear up by itself. Chest infections can last a while.
If it gets worse then you would be better seeing the gp but should be okay until next week.

spookycharlotte121 Mon 17-Aug-09 19:17:26

Thanks for the advice. Im pretty wheezy and am coughing continuously through the night when Im on my back. Have had pneumonia before so I really dont want it to turn into that.

Will keep doesed up on meds and try to get to the docs asap. cheers!

PixieOnaLeaf Tue 18-Aug-09 11:14:37

Message withdrawn

pleasechange Tue 18-Aug-09 11:17:23

If you have a bad chest infection that won't lift, you should really get it treated. My mum had one last year that wouldn't go away, and ended up in hospital months later after coughing up blood

SolidGoldBrass Tue 18-Aug-09 11:18:24

I have a rotten cough at the moment as well so sending you empathy. I tend to be of the 'leave it alone and it will go away' tendency; if I can walk about, eat, think in between spluttering and the odd undignified spit then there's not much to worry about.

TotalChaos Tue 18-Aug-09 11:19:06

i'ld go sooner to get checked out, given you have already had pneumonia, which can make you more vulnerable to getting it again I believe.

BikeRunSki Tue 18-Aug-09 11:24:04

I have had something similar recently. After two weeks, I saw the pharmacist, who gave me Night Nurse to help me sleep, as it contains a cough suppressant. Cough/cold finally went away after nearly 4 weeks.

DH once ignored a chest infection for three months, carried on cycle racing twice a week and ended up in hospital. All before he met me.

If you are concerned, do you have an NHS walk in centre near by? IME they are very good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now