Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does anyone know about NHS breast reduction?

(13 Posts)
TheMoistWorldOfSeptimusQuench Mon 17-Aug-09 16:03:51

I've been considering going to the GP to ask for a breast reduction for years, but always chickened out at the last minute. I had some reconstructive (purely cosmetic really, but psychologically necessary post birth I think) surgery on my fanjo a couple of years ago, so I suppose I've been putting off asking about the breast reduction as don't want to be passed off as a plastic surgery obsessed narcisist.

But I am really, really fed up of hauling these massive things around with me that are so completely out of proportion to the rest of my body. I'm a 30GG at the moment, and the rest of me is a size 10. I imagine that all people see is a massive pair of breasts walking towards them. I can't run, can't exercise, and feel horribly self concious. No back problems yet, I think, but I do tend to slump and it's probably just a matter of time.

Does anyone know what the NHS criteria are? I suppose it varies depending on the PCT?

And I realise I do just need to go & speak to the GP. But just wondered if anyone here had anything helpful to say before I do, really.

Thanks smile

lou031205 Mon 17-Aug-09 16:11:39

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Breast-reduction/Pages/Why-should-it-be-done.aspx

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Breast-reduction/Pages/How-is-it-performed.aspx

TheMoistWorldOfSeptimusQuench Mon 17-Aug-09 16:25:53

Thank you smile

Has anyone actually had it done?

popsycal Mon 17-Aug-09 16:31:37

a mner did it recently
dont want to out her incase she does bnot want to be outted - but wil bum this thread up should i see her
(though i suspect she isnt here anymore)

popsycal Mon 17-Aug-09 16:32:04

bump
blush

TheMoistWorldOfSeptimusQuench Mon 17-Aug-09 16:33:30

ROFL. Is it Friday already?

Thanks Popsycal

popsycal Mon 17-Aug-09 16:34:22

if you search 'breast reduction' in thread title you should find it

blondissimo Mon 17-Aug-09 17:41:21

In the same boat here though am waiting until after we have dc2 for obvious reasons.
A friend of mine is in the process of getting it done on NHS, but she has been waiting 2 years!!!
She had to go and see a psychiatrist and also a physiotherapist who said that she had seen 70 year olds with better backs!!
But they are still dragging their heels about it.
She is a 30JJ shock!

thesockmonsterofdoom Mon 17-Aug-09 17:52:40

I had it a cou0ple of years ago, bestb thing I ever did.

TheMoistWorldOfSeptimusQuench Mon 17-Aug-09 18:00:36

Thanks, have done a search - lots of experience on here it seems

SockMonster - how was the recovery period? Were you out of action for long?

And shock at 30JJ. Poor woman!

suwoo Mon 17-Aug-09 18:22:58

I've had it too. 14 years ago when I was 19. I was a 28HH as that was the biggest you could get then, suspect I was bigger. I am a 30F still though now.

Best thing I ever did and I am exclusively breastfeeding DC3 grin.

mummc2 Wed 26-Aug-09 20:56:38

Hi bit late on this thread but just noticed and thought i'd add that i had mine done in april - best thing i ever did!

Checkout this website its brilliant BREAST HEALTH

It is mainly americans but there is a uk chat section on the reduction thread which is great for research and just chatting people are so friendly. I live on this site!!!

RumourOfAHurricane Wed 26-Aug-09 23:19:35

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now