Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

dd1 had an alergic reaction to peanuts this morning, advice please

(48 Posts)
oliveoil Fri 27-May-05 11:21:07

She had some of my peanut butter on toast and within in minutes was scratching her neck, her face came out in red blotches and her eyes gelled up.

Got an emergency appt at the docs and she gave me some Piritin but I have to have a follow up next week with a possibility of referal to hospital! Is this normal to get a referal to hospital?

Bit worried about it getting worse, any advice please.

Might not be on for long, she won't get off my knee and dd2 is teething so am going to have my hands full, but will check in later.

xx

oliveoil Fri 27-May-05 12:57:08

Anyone? She looks like she has been punched her eyes are all closed .

misdee Fri 27-May-05 12:58:16

thats a very severe reaction. perfectly normal to get referred. she may need an epipen.

Toothache Fri 27-May-05 13:01:44

OO - IS this the first time she's had peanuts? Peanut allergies are usually quite severe (as you can see!). Must be very scary for you. As I have food allergies I was told not to let ds or dd have peanuts until they are 3. HV even told me if I could wait until ds was nearer 7!!!

She probably will get an epipen.

CountessDracula Fri 27-May-05 13:04:02

I thought allergic reactions couldn't happen the first time you ate something, but only the second time or later..

oo I would be worried too, poor you & dd How old is she?

PrincessPeaHead Fri 27-May-05 13:04:52

that is a bad reaction for a first taste of peanut butter oliveoil. I'm sorry. Sounds like you should be extremely careful with her - I'd treat her as if she had a peanut allergy unless and until the hospital tells you otherwise. Poor thing...

misdee Fri 27-May-05 13:05:10

it usually happens after one exposure.

CountessDracula Fri 27-May-05 13:05:28

(pph I was just trying to work out what peanut butter olive oil was durrrrrrrrrrr)

CountessDracula Fri 27-May-05 13:08:06

A food allergy occurs when the immune system reacts to proteins within the food that enter your bloodstream after the food is digested. Transported by the blood, allergens go to target organs, such as your skin or nose, where they cause the symptoms of allergic reactions. The first time that a person with a food allergy eats the food, the person's body produces large amounts of an antibody called immunoglobulin E (IgE). The IgE attaches to the mast cells in the body; these cells are most common in the nose, throat, lungs, skin and gastrointestinal tract. The second time the food is eaten, it reacts with the IgE on the mast cells, and those cells produce the chemicals associated with an allergic reaction: They cause itching, breathing difficulties, abdominal pain, diarrhea or hives. Some people have an exercise-induced food allergy: They have an allergic reaction to a food only when they exercise within a few hours after eating it.

PrincessPeaHead Fri 27-May-05 13:10:56

hee hee cd. howa re you?
It may not be the first time she has had exposure to peanuts though. there are bits of nuts and peanut oil in various things, she may have inadvertently had some sort of exposure before. But to have such a reaction to peanut butter on toast.... well it is fairly clear, isn't it? I mean it isn't going to be the toast that has caused it....

CountessDracula Fri 27-May-05 13:13:23

no quite.

I'm v well thanks and you?

I'm all for the Nigella thing of peanut butter sarnies in A&E, dh scoffed at me when I mentioned it and said "oh just because everyone on mn does it" etc, when I told him NO it was nigella he had to retract as she is his dream shag

However was knocked on head for me by dippy MIL leaving bowl of peanuts out last time we were down there, I mean FFS how dim can you get, a 2.5 yo in the house and you leave a bowl of peanuts out.

PrincessPeaHead Fri 27-May-05 13:20:45

you have COMPLETELY lost me! Nigella eats peanut butter sandwiches in A&E? Why? Does she go there for any reason or just for some lurid entertainment on a saturday night?! explanation please or I'll be puzzling over it all afternoon...

SenoraPostrophe Fri 27-May-05 13:26:44

PPH - Nigella has said that she went and sat in a&e with her kids the first time she gave them peanut butter (so they'd be in the right place if there was a reaction)

misdee Fri 27-May-05 13:27:17

loads of people do that. or the hospital car aprk. the 1st time igave dd1 eggs i had tyhe phone and piriton handy.

PrincessPeaHead Fri 27-May-05 13:43:42

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

clunk (sound of brain turning over)

Thank yuo so much SP, I would never have got there on my own.
Clever idea though!

CountessDracula Fri 27-May-05 13:44:35

PPH all that sahmdom has obv seized up your brain

PrincessPeaHead Fri 27-May-05 13:44:53

by the way is the advice still not to eat peanuts while pregnant? is there any link between that and peanut allergy later? Or is it rubbish?

PrincessPeaHead Fri 27-May-05 13:45:39

i'm up the duff again cd, I think that might be it.
hence my interest in peanuts in preg, as I look at a Reeses peanut butter cup sitting at my left elbow....

CountessDracula Fri 27-May-05 13:46:03

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOo!!!!!Wow congrats to yoU!!!!

PrincessPeaHead Fri 27-May-05 13:46:39

shhhhhhhh!It's a secret!

Heathcliffscathy Fri 27-May-05 13:46:44

good lord many many congrats pph.....wow!

Heathcliffscathy Fri 27-May-05 13:47:03

oops...sorry

CountessDracula Fri 27-May-05 13:47:18

<psst wanna buy a previa>

PrincessPeaHead Fri 27-May-05 13:47:27

whoops, not any more

thank you soph!

PrincessPeaHead Fri 27-May-05 13:48:07

the worlds worst named car, CD? no thanks, my GIGANTIC landcruiser will suffice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now