Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DH has doctors appointment tomorrow. What do I need to make sure he asks?

(4 Posts)
lisbey Sun 16-Aug-09 17:04:58

DH is 46, reasonably fit, if a little overweight and I can't remember the last time he had a day off sick.

He had his annual work medical recently and his blood pressure is apparently sky high (always normal in the past) and his eyesight has deteriorated a lot over the last 12 months, when it had been stable for years before that.

On top of that (possibly connected) has has really not been enjoying work, feeling constantly under pressure and out of control, to the extent that he has decided to take next week off sick.

I have never known him take a day off unless he couldn't get out of bed before.

I have persuaded him to go to docs tomorrow, because of the blood pressure if nothing else, but what should he be asking/expecting?

WobblyPig Sun 16-Aug-09 21:27:04

Need to know :
1) what his blood pressure is

2) is there evidence of eye damage on examination?

He needs to have blood tests for

1) full blood count

2) blood sugar and cholesterol

3) kidney function

Needs to discuss with Dr

1) How long his blood pressure has been this high if this is know

2) What may have caused this ; is this primary ( without a cause ) or secondary ( due to something else like kidney problems or hormone dysfunction )

His Dr should ask about :

1) previous medical problems such as kidney problems; hormone or heart problems

2) family history of Blood pressure issues ; kidney problems ; heart disease

3) assess for other risk factors for heart disease such as smoking ; diabetes ; exercise
cholesterol

Finally discuss best way of managing it ; if high likely ot need tablets of some sort.

Other things that he may need are kidney scan and heart tracing

lisbey Sun 16-Aug-09 22:00:42

Thank you so much Wobbly.

Do you think he could be hating work because he's not feeling great or is it more likely to be the work that's contributing to the health issues?

I know I'm not going to persuade him to ask all the questions, but I'll do my best - feel like I should go with him like I would for the Dcs blush

WobblyPig Sun 16-Aug-09 22:39:57

Depends on how high his Blood pressure is. Stress at work is unlikley to be the cause of severely elevated blood pressure. Do you know what his bloos pressure readings have been?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now